Best Video from Finals!

The design of a product should take into account ALL possible usage conditions. Yamaha obviously missed this one or doesn't care. It doesn't have to "happen often", once is plenty in this case. This was the biggest show of the year and could have been disasterous if a MM fell over the drum or other people who fell over the drum. Yamaha needs to change the design so that a drum can't pop up and off during NOW normal usage conditions. It's now not "a freak thing" that drummers are jumping up and down during a show. Perhaps these carriers will not be purchased until this is fixed. Yamaha: care to respond?

You're probably right, but I happen to agree that it's a bad design even if it serves a purpose.

I own a Yamaha SFZ (just because) and a Pearl marching snare. I have a May carrier for the Yamaha, but it's a J-bar carrier. My son, who plays the drums more than I do, also marches in high school using the hanger version that Crown uses. He says he never trusts his school harness and his experience and the Crown video are evidence that all drum lines should use J-bar carriers.

Just one opinion.

I understand the argument but as someone that has used these carriers, I just don't agree. How many times have these carriers been used with no incidence at all? These guys performed this show all summer with no incident either as did other corps. I still just believe it was a freak thing that happened; could have been the performers fault for not attaching it 100%, could have been the performer getting too hyped for finals and getting a little more excited, could have been that particular carrier got damaged, etc...

Again my opinion only, but I don't think Yamaha needs to do a thing with these carriers. I personally preferred these carriers to the J-bar ones I used in HS but again that's just my personal preference. Most corps now don't use J-bar ones and use a carrier similar to the Yamaha one...

You're probably right, but I happen to agree that it's a bad design even if it serves a purpose.

I own a Yamaha SFZ (just because) and a Pearl marching snare. I have a May carrier for the Yamaha, but it's a J-bar carrier. My son, who plays the drums more than I do, also marches in high school using the hanger version that Crown uses. He says he never trusts his school harness and his experience and the Crown video are evidence that all drum lines should use J-bar carriers.

Just one opinion.

do you have the carrier with back support triangle? if so, does it help the back or is it a gimmick?

"You and me baby. We got it!"

I love Allan and that he allows his personality to shine when he judges. some of his commentary from when he worked finals and the drum tape was on the dvd is hilarious yet outstanding at the same time

• Like 1

do you have the carrier with back support triangle? if so, does it help the back or is it a gimmick?

It's not meant to help the back, at least not according to anyone I've ever talked with about them.

They are designed to keep the harness from moving around on the shoulders by creating a lever that pushes the drum belly-pad tight against the stomach and hips. Keeping the drum harness planted firmly against the body allows the drummers to move and play without the drum swinging around.

I've had a bad back since boot camp and I've never felt any ease on my back wearing the triangle pad/lever but it clearly fulfills its intended purpose.

Just my opinion and use anyway.

and having judged percussion on the field, I've never had to hand a drum back to a kid, but I have handed a stick or 10 back in my day. always made a point to circle back and make sure the kid was ok

Now there's a video up synced to Alan's tape, although not surprisingly he doesn't say anything interesting while he's tearing around the field.

Also, to me it sounds like at the end of the show he says "You really made me run!"

Actually he said "you and me baby, we got it!"

That's awesome! Also.....David Starnes is looking more and more like Malcolm McDowell everyday :)

• Like 1