"East Coast Style"

NightRelic

I was watching some videos of Ken Mazur doin his thang... and looks like he's got it all... control, chops, and impressive little tricks. How come I dont see any drumlines or even single players out there drummin like he does... I mean... if he knows how to get rich quick... wouldnt everyone else wanna get rich too?! what is wrong with this 'east coast style'... im almost afraid to ask...

One word Visuals.

It's not about the music anymore it's about the visuals...So why not put it on ESPN? (sure is resembling Cheerleading) LOL :rolleyes:

Not very many people teach that (imo great) style anymore, whereas it used to be the norm. I like the way he uses his full arms - fingers, wrists, forearms, elbows, chest. It's really quite a nice style, and if you have seen some of the really older video out there, you'll notice a lot of the lines drummed that way.

One word Visuals.

It's not about the music anymore it's about the visuals...So why not put it on ESPN? (sure is resembling Cheerleading) LOL :rolleyes:

not being a percussionists, but much of the rudiments are substituted all in the name of the way today's drills are written...with percussion "running" all over the place.

Good points!

As an "old school" rudimental snare drummer, I could NEVER play what we used to play 30+ years ago AND run around the field like they do today - my hats off to today's snare lines for doing it, but I think there ARE lines who stand still long enough to play clean, tight, and difficult passages!

I gotta get to Allentown Saturday night and check this year's corps lines out!

One word Visuals.

It's not about the music anymore it's about the visuals...So why not put it on ESPN?  (sure is resembling Cheerleading)  LOL :blink:

not being a percussionists, but much of the rudiments are substituted all in the name of the way today's drills are written...with percussion "running" all over the place.

Correct me if im wrong, but if the drill demands have gotten much more greater since the past, shouldnt the technique get even more tight and more solid instead of letting go of the stick and useing rebound because (seriously!) your sprinting across the field with a drum on and changing directions rapidly... Why would you wanna let go of the stick when your moving like that? back then snarelines bearly even moved... so they could have let go of the stick alittle more like today... but its almost like as if its reversed! :rolleyes:

Yep, that would be pretty hard to do at the tempos today, with the drills. But, as an individual style, it's really good. Plus, you have to wonder if the homogenization of styles, where there aren't many differences, is really such a good thing!

Well, it seems like the lines are doing more meaty playing anyway, but noone seems to be doing independent solos anymore. Just drum breaks. I guess I'll settle for breaks as long as there's some meat being played. I like BD, SCV and Phantom this year, fwiw.