Restarting new corps

Yawn.... is this necessary, does it really make you feel any better?

Fred O.

It was just a joke. People could've said "Blue Devils" and no one would bat an eye.

Perhaps he meant Marion or Tipp City!

Tipp City was the Miami Valley Lancers.

The only thing that stops a restart of a Corps is the name public and no one owns the name. Other than some grief from alumni that would rather see it dead, go for it. You will be compared constantly to that Corps. If you don't measure up to the bitter alumni and arm chair Corps Directors expect some grief. As to Starting a Corps cost wise, you can equip a guard for less than 1k, drums and a small 2v horn line for around 2.5k. Small pit will coast you about 5k. Be creative and uni's will be about $50 a person. Insurance about 1k, copyrights $5-600, a place to practice and a staff will be the most expensive. But get at least 4 serious people to pull it together or you'll be doing everything and burn out fast.

• Like 1

This is contradictory. 27th was a favorite because they were a powerhouse, not a Div III corps ala SDCA. The old mystique of 27th won't be revived with 10 horns, a couple of drums and a flag or two. "Success" in resurrecting the past is to duplicate it. That won't be done in SDCA.

I agree about the participation part, but why not run a show, or volunteer time on the tour, or simply donate to an existing organization like Racine Scouts?

The premise of the thread is to attempt to relive the glory of the past. That won't happen if the name is resurrected on a smaller and different production even if you do own the 27th name and trademarks.

Now, if you want to revive what 27th looked like when it was just getting started and grow it into what 27th became, well, you can do that as easily (!) by starting from scratch with a new brand and image.

Leaving fans disappointed with a small performance when they are hoping to relive the legacy of a powerhouse is not the way to sell souvies, I'm afraid.

The 'restarted' 27th Lancers performed at the 1994 DCI finals. I agree it would be nearly impossible to find 150 kids to go out there today and pull off that show - the activity has changed too much.

Also

Railmen

Malden Diplomats/East Coast Jazz

Spartans (WA)

Sancians

Polish Falcon Cadets

Flying Dutchmen (Canada)

Opti-Lancers

Marion Cadets

Saints

Cleveland Caballeros

Buckeyes

Pride of Cincinatti

Southern Tier Grenadiers

Derry Patriots

84th Bucktail Regiment

Royal Brigade

Americanos

Beverly Cardinals

You forgot the Illiana Lancers - just say'n

The 'restarted' 27th Lancers performed at the 1994 DCI finals. I agree it would be nearly impossible to find 150 kids to go out there today and pull off that show - the activity has changed too much.

1986 27th Lancers did not make finals, so we do not have a Legacy DVD which includes the show, but it was very different from earlier 27th shows and in my opinion a show that should have made finals and nearly did. 27th pushed the envelope in its day and probably would have today. I think they still would have been distinctive in the way Madison, Troopers, and BAC are today since 27th shared similar values and priorities, but they would have been contemporary. "Danny Boy" would still have been the corps song, and probably would have made it into a show or two, and we'd probably see the wheel and the rifles burst through the drum line if not every year, once in a while, and maybe we'd see that grit, but they would be contemporary.

I get that saying "Cadets" is a joke, a well used joke, an overused joke. But, what's the difference between bringing back the 1987 Suncoast Sound, the 1981 27th Lancers or the 1984 Garfield Cadets?

If you could bring back old corps as easily as bringing back this thread three times a year we would have 700 corps in DCI.