Friday night parade who's in it ?

I just looked at the parade line up ,frist thing all corps are listed as bands ,second excelsiour is listed as fife & drum and they show 9 div , only maybe 11 corps list if that .

Div 1 White Sabers

Div 2 Altanta CV

Div 3 Sunrisers

Div 4 Fusion Core

Div 5 Skyliners & Excelsiour

Div 6 Governaires

Div 7 Kilties

Div 8 Cinn. Trad.

Div 9 Statesmen & Tronoto Optimist

I thought all corps where doing the parade?

I just went back into it and this is what they show ?

I sure hope there not big unions it could cause corps in the second half of the parade to get back late and from Div 5 on there all on early in Prelims

I recall the New York City ,Labour Day Parade some unions took up 10 blocks or more moving out .

Edited by Florida Sun

Gotta love how AtlantaCV is listed!

I thought all the corps were doing the parade?

I don't know about all, but it sure ought to be more than the ten or eleven corps that the parade site lists, that is if the announcement on DCA's web site last October was meant to be believed, meaning specifically this passage:

"The City of Rochester, in helping recognize the importance of the 50th anniversary, has agreed to move their large Labor Day Parade from Labor Day Monday to Friday night, August 29th. The participating corps will join in the parade, making it the largest parade of the year in downtown Rochester. In excess of 100,000 people are expected to line the streets--a golden opportunity to show off the DCA participants and expose a huge number of non-drum corps enthusiasts to the activity just in time for the weekend's events. The last time this was done in Rochester was for the 1996 Championships, and it was done with just the competing corps, a fraction of what will be presented in 2014, That parade preceded the largest "modern era" crowd to attend a DCA Championship Finals."

My emphasis added. Nothing posted on DCA's site since then (in December, January, or June) has contradicted the above. And several of those reports stressed how the weekend schedule had been reworked specifically due to corps' participation in the parade.

Yet according to this Word document posted at the parade website, these are the corps participating; the parade is divided into nine "divisions", each with a separate staging area; I give spellings as from the list:

Div. 1

D&B Band -- White Sabers

Div. 2

D&B Band #2 -- Corvettes

Div. 2 also features the Nate Rawls Band, the RMU Dixieland Band, the Bourbon Street Band.

Div. 3

D&B Band #3 -- Sunrisers

Div. 3-A

D&B Band #4 -- Fusion Core

Div. 4

D&B Band #10 -- Skyliners

Excelsior Brigade Fife & Drum (=Excelsior D&B?)

D&B Band #5 -- Govenienears

Div. 5

D&B Band #6 -- Kilties

Div. 6

D&B Band #7 -- Cincinnanti Tradition

Div. 7

D&B Band #8 -- Toronto Optimists

Div. 7-A

D&B Band #9 -- Statesmen Alumni

So why are Buccaneers, Caballeros, Minnesota Brass, Cadets2, Bushwackers, Carolina Gold, Hurricanes, Alliance, Windsor Regiment, and Sun Devils not appearing? Not to mention all the other alumni corps?

I mean, in 1996, if DCA's October news item is correct, the parade apparently featured fifteen competing corps. I suppose that year's fifteen is "a fraction of" this year's eleven, but I don't think 15/11 is the sort of fraction implied by that quote!

One more thing: in December, DCA also said, "Additionally, the Rochester Rhinos soccer team has a game at the stadium on Friday night, and one of our corps will perform at half time." Does anyone know if that's still happening, and if so, which corps is performing there?

• Like 1

Unless corps are getting money to do the parade, DCA can't really force anyone to do a parade.

I know that traditionally Bucs leave for the Finals housing Friday night and arrive Saturday at night. That would mean they would have to leave a day early, and since they stay at a local high school, this would probably conflict with schools just starting.

Edited by Kyle B
  • Like 1

Well, I kinda figured that, but surely DCA knew that as well last October when they implied that this year's corps participation in the parade would substantially exceed the number of competing corps from 1996. I trust the Rochester parade committee is satisfied by having 11 rather than 15 corps (or 29, if all this year's competing and alumni corps appeared)?

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Well I know years ago my junior corps The Queensmen ,from Saint Alban's N.Y. did the Labour Day Parade in New York City 4 times in one day ,We had three uniforms,frist time up 5th Ave from 43st ,to 86th and then from 5th to 2nd ave we worn the cadet uniforms ,2nd time through white satin blouses with red dickies cumerbuns and drop sash ,3rd time red satin blouses white dickies white cumerbuns white drop sash ,4th time back to the cadet jackets union's paid very well back then ,So I guess they still do ,cause looking at the list i'm sure most if not all corps listed can use monies to pay part of there week -end in Rochcahca

Many corps dont want to expend energy walking 4mi and would rather practice than do a parade...

When I was in St Josephs we often did several parades on major weekends...was pretty common and we got paid by whatever fire dept wanted us and prise money if we won the performance part of it

I just read from a friend on Facebook that the Reilly Raiders bus just left for Rochester...some people have to work.

I have talked to many a corps member about the DCA parade and so far no one has mentioned getting paid.

Well, whoever's marching in it, I sure lucked out - It forms a block from my hotel then goes right by it!!

Grenadasmoothie I guess we'll get a report from you on the parade lol

Grenadasmoothie I guess we'll get a report from you on the parade lol

Not sure I'l see the whole thing, but it'll be a nice mood-setter for the weekend before dinner tonight :-) . Then it's early to bed to get to the stadium by eight tomorrow morning.