WWI and WWII shows

WWI didn't have as much of a "sound track" as WWII. National radio broadcasts and widespread recording technology weren't really around yet. Most popular music of the period was probably making the rounds in vaudeville and other stage shows. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

After "Over There" and "Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag" the list of songs gets mighty thin

How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, after they've seen Paree?

After "Over There" and "Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag" the list of songs gets mighty thin

"Waltzing Matilda" maybe? As a tribute to the ANZACS that routinely get little attention when discussing WWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCOv7REoGsA

This is a group from Belgium who competed in Europe and WGI with a show about WW1. They actually are located in a region where the battles were fought during that war. Great show from a great group!

Otherwise known as all of Belgium.

That's a cool show, thanks for posting it

The 1962 Sunrisers show was a WW I themed program. Their repertiore was French, which is why their logo features a Fleur de Lis to this day.

They played Mam'selle de Paris, Clair de Lune, How You Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm (after they've seen Parree)) and other WW I tunes.

It's interesting to note that the American drum corps movement itself was initiated by WW I veterans. We have them to thank for the activity we love.

From what little I've read, WWI--or more specifically the activities of the veterans returning from it--was the signal event in the launch of non-military drum and bugle corps, which might be another reason for the subject for a corps to assay.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

WWI didn't have as much of a "sound track" as WWII. National radio broadcasts and widespread recording technology weren't really around yet. Most popular music of the period was probably making the rounds in vaudeville and other stage shows. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Sheet music sales were huge in the era before widespread recording, I believe, as many people made music in their homes.

And according to the Wikipedia article on British music halls, "World War I may have been the high-water mark of music hall popularity". Maybe we'll see a tribute to the Battle of the Somme featuring