DCI's More Forgotten or Less-Acclaimed Moments

Totally agree. By 2002 I had arranged a percussion ensemble version of "Heat of the Day" and felt like I knew it backwards/forwards: meaning I was likely very critical and judgmental of how that arrangement would be long before I saw/heard it (FWIW I really did not like what Music City Mystique did with it the year they won WGI with that as their pesudo-opener in 1998). It did kind of blow me away, both brass, front ensemble, and battery, and it was really turned into a great marching/pageantry number that is the high-water mark for other designers IMO.

shame that corps didn't place higher

• Like 1

-Crossmen 1998 Opener (but maybe I'm being a homer)

-In most any year, the bass line in the Cadets percussion book

Edited by ibexpercussion
  • Like 1

That was the summer that BD came out with a show that was nothing like what was on the field for finals. Devs had them by 4 points at their first show together, but Crossmen took them iGE visual at the show.

I hear ya... I saw BD on their early Eastern swing in 2002, and then again late in the season just before championships... and it was like a completely different corps.

From struggling (at least by BD standards!!) to absolutely nailing it.

-Crossmen 1998 Opener (but maybe I'm being a homer)

-In most any year, the bass line in the Cadets percussion book

There is no consideration to being a "homer" on this thread, ibex. If you were impressed, or it left a meaningful impression -- fire away. No matter the corps. Somebody else may read your words, research the performance, watch it...and through all of that, acquire a new meaningful experience for themselves as well. In other words...it's all good. :colgate:

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Heat of the Day was awesome, especially in the early season before they gutted a lot of the difficult horn runs. Well thought out opener, for sure.

And as previously mentioned, BK's 2002 show is a hidden gem. One of the most brilliant classical openers put on the field. Seriously.

Mike

• Like 1

Heat of the Day was awesome, especially in the early season before they gutted a lot of the difficult horn runs. Well thought out opener, for sure.

And as previously mentioned, BK's 2002 show is a hidden gem. One of the most brilliant classical openers put on the field. Seriously.

Mike

Yes, yes, and yes. Blue Knights 2002 is one of my favorite dark shows out there - pretty terrible visual package, but outside of Cavaliers...that was a pretty weird few years of visual design.

Since it was one of my initial citations, I felt it my duty to post the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ei4iMyFauQ

Point of interest: In my latest reviewing of the video -- that being, about 5 minutes ago -- the thought suddenly occurred to me as wondering much the final show design for the piece was influenced by knowing that the 2002 championships were being held in Madison? It struck me as to how much the curved nature of the red U. of W. "W" on the turf lent a certain...maybe subconscious...influence on how I was eventually "seeing" the drill. Maybe grasping at straws, here...but still I wonder. Too many of the drill curves line up way too well with the "W" curves to be merely coincidence. And even those that don't line up precisely are eerily mirroring. It's almost as if the upper and lower curves of the letter (conveniently in red with black trim) create two additional sight curves to the drill -- right down to being color-complimentary.

As I said, maybe it's just a subconscious impression. OR...it could be the ramblings of the simple mind who can't recognize a "Well, DUH!!" moment when he sees one.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

Madison 99 Jesus Christ Superstar was also an emotional goldmine that sometimes doesn't get noticed with the tie for the championship between BD and SCV. But in my opinion, it was a top 3 show for entertainment value.

It didn't hurt that finals were in Madison! I was at that show and the crowd was crazy for that show, I never get tired of watching/listening to it. I was in Indy in 2011 and when the DCI vendors put this show on their big screen a big crowd quickly gathered to watch it.

DCI's More Forgotten or Less-Acclaimed Moments:

Marching to the form. :flower:

This one is really forgotten. And, given the final product, probably rightfully so.

Spirit of Georgia's (that should be all you need to know the year...) only year of existence: 1993.

The brass book (as originally written) was a blast to play. But, given the quality of our brass line, and the amazing difficulty of our visual book (I moved much more with that corps than I ever did in Madison), we never had a chance of getting it clean.

I don't know many 17th place shows, but I doubt that many have brass books this fun (including an MC Hammer song...)

Spirit of Atlanta 1993 Spirit Camp Run

(This run was before most of the things that got watered were hosed).

• Like 1