shoulder euphs

Grandpa

Hi.

We have a young, new drum corps and we are looking for sources for Bb shoulder euphs (mini tuba-contra). I know these are popular in Japan but not sure if they are available here (we're in Canada).

I would prefer to buy second-hand as we're being cautious on the budget.

Thanks!

Jim

Scout House Cadets

Egads, the "Bari-Tubas" as some groups call them out this way? As a Euphonium major and someone playing LB for over 40 years... gaaaah! Can't you find something better? Seriously.

Seen Nishihara HS use them well in japan, but I have a feeling the Nishahara kids were so well schooled and talented they could have taken a trash-can, stuck a hose attached to the mouthpiece to it, put the trash can on the kid's shoulder and it would have still sounded good.

Not sure where the decision was made. Think about it, please... :blink:

I think it would neat to see a corps march an entire family of over-the-shoulder horns with the long bells, from trumpets to tubas, a la those of the mid-1800s.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I've had a good look at an Alto that was a modern build to spec. Lovely key-rotor action on it.The problem with those instruments is that the band has to literally sit facing away from the audience. There are evidently a few ACW re-enactor brass bands that do use them.

• 1 month later...