DCA Predictions for 2015

Thank God DCA got away from doing that Labour Day Parade that was a disaster last year .

I believe that was a "one year only" thing for DCA's 50th anniversary.

I would suggest Empire............. "retired on their own terms" may be a more appropriate statement..

. They picked up their marbles and went home! Edited by VOReason
  • Like 3

That was not a DCA parade last year. It was sponsored by a department of the City of Rochester. They only asked DCA corps to participate. That is all.

The parade was a disaster? First time I've heard that one.

It was not. Like most parades, it was merely dull. I support the right of workers to organize themselves very strongly, but they don't make for an entertaining spectacle. And there were large gaps: it wasn't a particularly well organized event. The NYC friends of Israel parade in which a number of corps lately participated looked to be a good deal more lively and colorful (if still of no great interest). The participation of so many DCA corps in Rochester's Labor Day parade is the only thing that made it a nearly pleasant way to pass the evening. Best of all was the Empire Statesmen alumni corps, who closed the parade and played several tunes to the grandstand--much to the displeasure of the local constabulary, who wanted to clear the street.

It was not. Like most parades, it was merely dull. I support the right of workers to organize themselves very strongly, but they don't make for an entertaining spectacle. And there were large gaps: it wasn't a particularly well organized event. The NYC friends of Israel parade in which a number of corps lately participated looked to be a good deal more lively and colorful (if still of no great interest). The participation of so many DCA corps in Rochester's Labor Day parade is the only thing that made it a nearly pleasant way to pass the evening. Best of all was the Empire Statesmen alumni corps, who closed the parade and played several tunes to the grandstand--much to the displeasure of the local constabulary, who wanted to clear the street.

It was a fun parade and very appreciative spectators! . Any performance, any corps gets to perform in---the opportunity should be taken to promote the activity, and your organization itself. In all likelihood, more people will see a corps perform in a well attended parade than all the shows combined in any one given season.

Edited by bill

you should see it when it's on the Monday (when you're prolly trying to get out of your hotel it's passing). there's usually 1 fife&drum corps and 1 fireman's band

edit - oh, and the end of it is ~50 semis (Teamsters) all blowing their horns in the downtown canyon

Edited by dbriggs

Here are my not-very-drum corps predictions

1) The whole of Kidsgrove will be found in Dinosaur BBQ, Rochester after being deprived since 2010!
2) The bar on the plane will run dry...again as per 2010 and 2012.
3) People will question our un-British tans especially the white feet when we arrive back across this side of the pond.

I think I can speak for us all when I say that we are more looking forward to performing to you all, I've loved both times we've already been over and can't wait to do it again!

• Like 6