Cadets 2015

Oh my. Yes! Perfect changes! Clean Clean Clean. Get those feet time. Bravo. Magnificant.

And on another note:

The ongoing discusssions of the intellectual, creative, artistic, value of show design(s) is perhaps the drum corps

topic that drives me the most crazy. Though labeling someone as a pseudointellectual suggests they are of average

intelligence and are pretending to posses "deep" and "superiorly elevated" insight, I think that in the incidences where

we are talking about show design, some are at the least trying to project the image that they have the most "accurate"

opinion of what is and what is not deep/intellectual show design. This practice may or may not be a sign of someone

being a pseudointellectual.

I do not think spelling the word "TEN" is creative stooping. I do not think hearing someone say consecutive numbers

that add up to ten to be "shallow".

While I think one could say that one programmic representation in a show may be more imaginative or original, more complex or

subtle than another, I do not think that we can evaluate the whole without considering all programmatic elements as they relate to the show theme, to each other, through time, all as part of effect.

The initial show choice determines, guides, how the theme is conveyed. There are of course always different design options/directions a staff can choose.

A few examples:

Blue Knights- Though their show may have programmatic elements I am not recognizing, it doesn't matter to me. I love their show and because it flows so well, is performed so well, I am simply satified with the Melody and Chord changes from "Because" by the Beatles as being the only programmatic glue/throughline that I need to feel drawn into their journey. Subtle, wonderful, effective.

Academy- A complete theatrical saturation of an extremely familiar story and extremely familiar music. We get it all of the time, every beat and bar, and I love it for what it is and how well they are selling it. I do not care if it is "deep" or overtly "intellectual", it is effective.

Blue Devils-They often go to the subtle, the need-some-info type of effect. Not always, however. This year's shows is full (and they keep adding them) of references to childrens' stories- an approach I think of as theme saturation, but in a completely different way than Academy has chosen. Effect.

CADETS- They have also chosen to do theme saturation, but in a very different way than Academy or BD. I think it is great. Regarding theme saturation, they have included the obvious, the less obvious, the takes-four-viewings-to-catch-them-all programmatic elements that add to the overall effect. Because they allow me to get some 10-isms right away, it is like a game that adds another element of enjoyment for me, trying to find all the references. I have seen the show live once, and on video probably 25 times. I still find myself looking and listening for references to the number 10. They could have simply marched and drummed and spun amazingly well as they are doing, but chose a visual and audio thread based on something simple in its concept, but fun and varied in its application to the show. The truest intellectual thread in their show is the amazing way they have used the original four note theme, and the amazing ways they have manipulated it through the entire show. I would not expect everyone to hear that. Probably doesn't matter to the average show go-er. It should however matter to the judges and I hope it is getting Cadets tons of music repertoire points.

Have you heard the latest conspiracy theory going around...?

GH with new black uniforms will complete his masterplan of turning Holy Name into the New Crossmen just like the corps he marched.

Evidence "they" observe:

-first moves corps from Garfield, NJ to his beloved PA.

-moves all winter camps from Northern NJ to Greater Philadelphia

-takes over Crossmen into YEA until it needs to be sold to Texas in order to survive.

-moves traditional Northern NJ big shows to West Chester, PA, then Chester, PA.

-has to settle for C2 playing Russian Christmas Music.

-hints that he is replacing traditional maroon cadet-style with a black uni, same color he wore in Crossmen snare line..

Some may think this all a stretch, but do those DeMoulin boxes have Aussies or capes?

You may be onto something.

The clues to the 2015 Cadets were there all the way back in the 1978 Crossmen. It's so obvious now!

In the drill.....

x781.jpg

In the uniforms.....

x782.jpg

• Like 2

The clues to the 2015 Cadets were there all the way back in the 1978 Crossmen. It's so obvious now!

In the drill.....

x781.jpg

In the uniforms.....

x782.jpg

I don't see it. Is there an X somewhere?

• Like 3

In the drill.....

x781.jpg

In the uniforms.....

x782.jpg

1655611-x_men.jpg

• Like 2

There were at least two periscope videos last night. When you pull up the person don't follow them an just click recent and you should see it. I watched @RMGarman.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aII6FTI2ODYwNTR8NDU4MjM5NDjf90Rd3LVTH7-xHJo1loskm9zMH-vhXEIuwzi4NVzyMA==

Thanks!!

Yep, mid-field zpull to what looks like 0 yard line - to - 0 yard line coverage in final set. -- btw that's 100 yards, or 10^2 (10 to the power of 2) yards.

Edited by chris ncsu
  • Like 2

In the uniforms.....

x782.jpg

Here is what I will say about these awesome uniforms from the late 70s, early 80s.

We all know that what's old sometimes comes back around to being new again. The box office has been filled with superhero movies for years now. Men and women in tights and capes of all kinds. At what point does that make its' way back to the field? Even for part of a show? :)

From Hop on Facebook:

The Cadets Shoes ---We usually need about a set and a half per years. Thanks to the generosity and the partnership with Up-Front Footwear, there is no additional cost to this effort for 2015

And the Corps Uniforms -- Steve Trull at DeMoulin has been a saint for the last years. From the craziness of 2011, to the launch of Cadets2 DeMoulin has made it possible for us to try to enhance the production value of the Cadets. The Cummerbunds in 2014, the two uniforms in 2011, the Change to All Cream in 2012 – they are life savers!!!!!

So … we have two options this year.

And do know, the Color change for the Cadets will last for 7 performances only.

The uniforms, used for these 7 shows will

a) Be passed to C2, who have NEVER has their own set of Uniforms. They will last 5 years, at least, as C2 only performs on weekends. When the cost is
spread over 5 years, the total cost to YEA! is probably $6000

b) BE SOLD, for more than we paid for the set of Uniforms. The income will go to replenishing uniforms for Cadets and C2

• Like 1

George Hopkins has confirmed (without details) that some kind of change is happening with the corps uniforms on July 30th. I copied his lengthy Facebook post about how this is all possibly financial and what his vision for the future is to the uniform question thread, here: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/162791-hypothetical-cadets-uniform-question/page-12