Cadets 2015

Evidently, Shostakovich symphony 10. Show titled X. No narration. The segments they are pulling the show from are posted on FB on DCP page.

Cadets doing Shosty? Can't say I woulda called it. But I can't imagine Bocook NOT making it pretty amazing to listen to, and without narration, I can definitely say I'm pretty sure I'm gonna really like it. If it's innovative, that's a plus, but I'm down for a good Shostakovitch show knowing they'll performing the #### out of it regardless of if it's cool thematically.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

so - show is very difficult and I personally love the selection

and for those interested - no narration - just tough music and a whole lot of movement

for now. what you're told in October can and will change by August

• Like 3

you may lol but when you hear this on the field, you will bow down and worship.

I'm sure there are a couple of arrangers that could make it work. Rach Star anyone?

Cadets doing Shosty? Can't say I woulda called it. But I can't imagine Bocook NOT making it pretty amazing to listen to, and without narration, I can definitely say I'm pretty sure I'm gonna really like it. If it's innovative, that's a plus, but I'm down for a good Shostakovitch show knowing they'll performing the #### out of it regardless of if it's cool thematically.

Yes...I find Bocook's arrangements (coupled with what McNutt and Moyer pen) to be satisfyingly musical and cohesive, which I think is why (despite the stage and narration) the Cadets were standing on the Bluecoats' neck for silver until the very end. I love what he does with the inner brass lines, the counter melodies and harmonic movement...the challenges he imposes on the brass are very cool. Shosty 10 would have good potential with that corps; and I also agree that staging the battery behind the brass for much of the show was a mistake this past summer. Listening to the Prelims audio download, I am still amazed at the precision achieved between the front ensemble, battery and brass when separated by 40-50 yards at times....looking forward to 2015 for sure.

• Like 1

Pearl Harbor anyone?

Last year alone once was to have Red Pony. App Spring was in ... then out ... then in again. Also once intended to include Swing, Swing, Swing and the Pollack soundtrack. :music:

But I'll take the fluidity over National Secret Drum Corps Program That You Will Know When You Need To Know!

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 2

Movement 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po5vTycfZTk or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U7ljZhzNsc (runs about four minutes)

Movement 4 (begins at 40:43) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKhSca8CS1c

Let us see the design team rise to the challenge!

Edited by xandandl

Cadets and Shostakovich could be a good pairing. While Shostakovich is not a composer I associate with Cadets, sometimes when a corps ventures into unfamiliar territory they surprise us with something fresh. Also, when it comes to classical music, I can't count how many times I have heard the Boston Symphony Orchestra perform Brahms Symphony #1, easily more than ten times, but it's always different. Excellence, loves of the score by conductor and orchestra, and an open mind make this happen. With classical music it can always be fresh when performed well.

Also, with last year and 2013 as measuring sticks, we could be in for a great year. Barber in 2013 was powerful, and I do believe history, no pun intended, will be kinder to the 2014 show. Yes George H ranted a bit more than usual about judging and his fellow corps, and I know I was a bit more critical about it come finals time, and after talking to someone who marched with Cadets in some cases wrong, that was not the Cadets show. Some of their interpretations of Copland were among the best arrangements of his music for drum corps. Also while some DCP posters panned the show, audiences in Lawrence, Bristol, Lynn, Charlotte, and Atlanta loved it, as did many audiences of shows recorded for Fan Network.