Most Impressive Low Brass Lines?

I've tried listening to shows on Fan Network from the 70's and early 80's and I've found that I can't really enjoy listening to anything before 1984 to be honest. The low brass in PR 78 did sound really good though!

I've tried listening to shows on Fan Network from the 70's and early 80's and I've found that I can't really enjoy listening to anything before 1984 to be honest. The low brass in PR 78 did sound really good though!

Haha, yes the earlier material is a bit "raw" and in-your-face, but if you listen to it in context with the times there is some amazing stuff in there.

Crown 2014 has my vote (as for many other Crown years) in terms of low brass....to get 40 low brass triple-tounging and spread out several yards is very unusual and out of this world (I'm not even talking about movement either).

Crown could win this vote of low brass every year beginning with 2003 because that's where the "cream" of the sound comes from. It's just not the same balance with BD (trumpet dominant), Cadets (mello dominant)....but the other thing is you have to know the main instrument of the arranger. Makes a HUGE difference.

• Like 1

Haha, yes the earlier material is a bit "raw" and in-your-face, but if you listen to it in context with the times there is some amazing stuff in there.

Especially when you consider that the technical playing was done on a piston-rotor horn, or maybe one with 2 valves if it's from the 80s. Playing runs with three valves is hard enough.

Cappybara what bothers you about the pre 84 sounds? Not picking a fight as know the P/R and early 2v sounds were "different" (OK rough) compared to todays horns. Just interested in todays views on stuff back in my time, Also have recordings going back to 1950 and it took a while to get used to those sounds so been there, done that lol.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

The improvement in Phantom's brass sound and arrangements over the years from '74 on is remarkable.

'74 was "blatty."

'75 was "nice"

'76 was "much nicer"

'77 was suddenly "OMG!"

'78 was "OMG!!"

'79 was the same as '78 except the recordings were in mono and not stereo (?).

I find the old stuff a lot of fun to listen to.

Honestly that's the way I felt back in 1987 when a friend loaned me recordings of older shows! Well, I did enjoy HEARING shows from 83+....

So I do understand you in that regard.

For me, that's was the biggest shift in shows in a short period of time. The rest of the changes have been smaller from year to year....

Edited by jjeffeory