Regiment '15

A lot of this last conversation bit is irrelevant. Vets DO have to audition at Regiment. It does happen, albeit extremely rare, that vets get cut in favor of better marchers/players.

This happened my rookie year at Regiment. I think, at the time, vets generally got the most consideration (so this was rare) but it wasn't necessarily a given.

Front ensemble vets were present at the camp last weekend.

Based on the photos from audition camp, there were ZERO vets that I saw; however, they don't always go to the first camp.

This is incorrect.

Obviously there are stories of vets being 'cut' or asked not to return due to attitude problems (like the infamous purple feather).

What Purple Feather? I'm unaware of what this is.

Giving a vet an in is kinda stupid/insensible. Yes, their experience should put them at an advantage, but not so much that they don't even have to bother attending audition camps.

First who says they aren't attending the audition camps and has this been confirmed? Second why would it be stupid when you get a known quantity vs an unknown? Seems to me gambling is kinda stupid and insensible. This is of course assuming the vet is not problem child. There is a lot more going on during the year stress wise, life and physically. You ever march corps?

• Like 1

Tour fees are what amount now - around $3500?

In the end I would assume marching with a corps like Phantom is going to cost a lot more than that if you include every expense to get into the corps like travel, meals (when not provided) and misc. expenses.

What would the actual cost be - around $5000? (I know it's dependant on what it takes to get to the camps).

Edited by Lincoln

Consistency of the corps is much better than getting in new talent and cutting vets.

No matter what the corps, it always amazes me that vets presume that they will have a spot (based on loyalty) rather than imagining that the corps might get even better with talent that is beyond theirs. I guess it's a case of ego, youthful inexperience, and lack of reflection.

I am of the understanding that even the Conductors and caption leaders at PR go through some sort of annual "audition" and that nothing is automatic.

However, the poster is also a bit realistic for the experiences of many corps that out of area vets tend not to show at first camps but communicate and clear that with caption heads and corps admin. Conflicts with school obligations, costs of travel, and familiarity with corps ambiance tends to permit this in deference to not skipping later camps when actual show material is being learned. These policies differ corps to corps, sometimes sections to sections.

Tour fees are what amount now - around $3500?

In the end I would assume marching with a corps like Phantom is going to cost a lot more than that if you include every expensive to get into the corps like travel, meals (when not provided) and misc. expenses.

What would the actual cost be - around $5000? (I know it's dependant on what it takes to get to the camps).

When I work the budgets with the corps members in pursuit of sponsorships included are all you mention and a lot more. Depending on where one lives and where one is (seeking to be) marching, 5K to 6K is not out of the ballpark now that local corps are not the usual and international memberships are. Unfortunately it becomes too apparent to too many that it is out of the league of many who best can do "one and done."

Who have you (each and all reading this) helped sponsor for 2015???

Edited by xandandl