Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

I am sorry but you have confused something that I was talking about. When I said I wasn't worried about legal issues, I was referring to the comments that subscribers could sue DCI for not giving them the full content they felt should be on thefannetwork. I understand that legal issues probably caused DCI to pull those videos, and while disappointed about it, realize there is nothing that can be done about it. However, it would only take a couple of minutes to have a statement on thefannetwork letting peoplle know that several videos have been pulled. I honestly believe as a paying customer we have the right to be told at least that much. obviously if they have responded to subscribers that have emailed, then there is no legal issue in letting people/subscribers know that information. Things like that are unfortunate, but they happen. I don't think anyone wants to see DCI fold, we just want better management. The number of people that follow DCI is a fairly small amount, compared to many other activities. Adn the number of those people who are willing to spend larger amounts of money to attend shows and subscribe to thefannetwork is even smaller. The changes to the activity have lost some of the fans, and brought in some new ones. Thefannetwork does kind of bridge that gap, since it mixes the live events with the old style of drum corps in the archives. Who cares whether 10% or 80% enjoy the archived material as opposed to the live broadcasts. DCI with a simple statement could at least acknowledge that there is a situation, even if they don't go into a lot of details about it. Again, that is customer service that DCI has lost, especially over the last decade.

Given the size and potential scope of the issue, dci wants lawyers to approve everything

OK, Mr. #########. What's 100% of 12? If FN didn't offer all top 12 corps for every year since 1975, I wouldn't have bothered signing up, and if that's the case next year I won't. I anticipate a pro-rated refund since DCI was not able to fulfill what they were obviously offering, fine-print-in-a-legal-document or no.

They've never had 100. Some corps had sections out from the get go Edited by Jeff Ream

Nobody on this thread mentioned YOU as being a DCI FN subscriber or not. This is not about YOU being a suscriber or not. Its not about YOU at all, as a matter of fact ( or me, or anyone else for that matter ). The comment made above that it should not surprise us if one or more posters that are perfectly fine with this loss, are not subscribers to FN and have never been so, still stands as my guesswork observation. Your injecting yourself into this as somehow being individually and solely targeted and singled out up by someone on here as a FN non subscriber, is so noted, but its clearly a bogus claim. YOU were never mentioned as a potential non subscriber at all...... by anyone here. 'Just for the record.

Those here that believe that DCI handled this matter with current DCI subscribers in a proper, timely, courteous, informative matter are entitled ( yes.."entitlement", there you go ) to this observation. Those who think otherwise, are also entitled to that assessment... and both are free to express it in any manner of their choosing, imo.

Actually I think dci has handled this in a way that legally covers their ###. Let Me ask you this: if they rush a statement out to appease you and 5 others and get sued for it, are you going to help pay the legal fees?

(Crickets)

Wow!

Lot's of drama in this thread!

All I will say is that I would have thought that DCI had all the copyright stuff taken care of and in order BEFORE they posted the content for a product.

Now it seems that they haven't and that makes me a little concerned. What changed?

...and just a FYI I've recently taken a Graduate level course on Intellectual Property concerns and ethics, so I'm not ignorant on the topic.

A publisher is deciding to interpret the laws differently, and as such sent DCI a cease and desist order

When you go to the Fan Network and sign up, there is a page that states the following:

ON-DEMAND ACCESS TO THE DCI VIDEO ARCHIVES

• Performances spanning 1974-2013

It doesn't state anything about "All top 12 performances spanning 1974-2013."

#### the truth

Legitimate question: how does e-mailing a customer base alerting them to content being removed from FN open DCI up to fines and other punishments? As was mentiomed earlier, DCI seems to be doing just that when someone contacts them asking for some sorr of explanation. If they can do one-offs, why can't they let ALL of their cutomers know? Or, is it more a case of (as is the case in a lot of the corporate world, having worked there for a long time and seen this firsthand) - we will only respond with the bad news to the people who have actually noticed and hope that the other customers haven't noticed yet?

There's some big legal issues involved. So DCI is waiting for counsels advice

I had a bad feeling about this back when Madison Scouts had to go the black-screen route on the DVDs for its "Empire State of Mind" segment. Makes me glad I've got the years I wanted to keep on DVDs and/or Blu-rays!

DCI is notifying customers when those customers email DCI. So the" facts " as alleged on here that DCI was under some legal restraint to not notify all FN subscribers while they were simulataneously ( or before ) deleting dozens of shows, is not only not "the facts ", it is sheer, and utter nonsense. There is zero evidence to support the claim on here that DCI could not legally notify FN subscribers on what they were about to do ( or do ). DCI's very own actions ( responding to email inquiries, complaints, etc ) tells us in no uncertain terms that DCI could have notified ALL FN Subscribers in a proactive fashion had they chose to. DCI apologists like to weave a fairy tale here, but their fairy tale simply falls apart altogether, when it meets up with the very real " factual " actions of the DCI belated emails themselves.

Sorry, maybe you've already been corrected on this. I don't believe anyone here has made that contention. DCI likely has been advised by legal counsel to take this action and make no public statement about it that might raise the ire of the copyright holder.

1. Don't you see the difference between one- or two-off emails and a "public statement"?

2. Don't you see this tact as logical and in the best interest of DCI? Especially with the knowledge, mentioned here before, that most everyone is in Chicago for some confab. The lawyer needs the time to study and prepare, they need to talk it through at the meeting, and prepare an appropriate strategy on a timeline that THEY desire.

I just don't get all the angst here.

Now caught up and seeing that Brasso's gone into hybernation, this will all have blown over by the time he comes back.

HockeyDad said it well. This was a shot out of the dark, apparently. Take one for the team and let DCI keep the FN fee. This year.

But for those who thought the FN is to replace your physical media, you've just gotten a wake-up call. I actually felt silly buying discs when all this great stuff was available at a click in FN, anywhere. Yet, I buy discs because they're mine and no one can "turn them off".

On the bright side, DCI is having a 30% off sale on their website! Go shopping!

Merry Christmas!

Edited by garfield

So, I'm curious about the feelings of the remaining brain trust:

The FN is $70 as I understand it. And now there is the reality that it's primary purpose is to provide streaming shows. Any older shows still available are on time-delay and, likely, will diminish in number over time.

So, taking into account the regional and finals shows you're able to attend, is $70 worth seeing 6 or 7 shows live each year? Yes, $10 or $12 per showing, no matter how many friends are viewing on the 60" Visio.

Is it still worth it?