The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I would love to see a corps play Poet and Peasant Overture

Seems like something BD could pull off very well

I would love to see a corps play Poet and Peasant Overture

Seems like something BD could pull off very well

If you check corpsreps.com, you will learn that seven (7) corps have played this tune in 11 different seasons, most recently 2009.

I agree, nick possibilities for a re-arrangement and restaging. But I think it would be better in the Crown book than BD.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

If you check corpsreps.com, you will learn that seven (7) corps have played this tune in 11 different seasons, most recently 2009.

I agree, nick possibilities for a re-arrangement and restaging. But I think it would be better in the Crown book than BD.

Ahhh, beat me to the punch!

Here's the link though: http://corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=SongSrch&Song=Poet%20and%20Peasant%20Overture

Someone took away my recording of the 2009 version. D= Guess i'll have to re-load it when I get home.

A friend recently wrote in praise of a recital he'd attended of selections from the new opera Scalia/Ginsburg by Derrick Wang, although it's not clear to me if the work's music would stand independent of the reportedly witty lyrics. But to see the angst that would be caused by the title alone...

Edited by N.E. Brigand

How long before the Don Ellis-inspired quarter tone trumpet is allowed? And the works of Krzystof Penderecki become a reality? You think there's been a hue and cry about music selection up to now...

I can envision the first performance of "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima." It'll make the "Miss Saigon" show look like a rendition of "Mary Had A Little Lamb."

Edited by HornTeacher

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things I like about the Bluecoats' recent selections is that they've led me to discover a lot of great new music that I would have likely missed.

In exploring the other tracks by the Bang on a Can All Stars (who did this year's selection of Gene Takes a Drink) I'm struck by the track A Wonderful Day. That could be a potentially stunning ballad some day. Lots of ways it could be arranged as well.