The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

As every year...Phantom...Janacek's Sinfonietta.

Just five more year until it's in the public domain, I think.

Which is a joke. Copyright should not last 95 (or 120!) years. Cut it down to 50.

There's a high school in Texas (Leander) that's at the top of their game right now that used this from this really interesting artist Son Lux as their 2015 opener, and is using him again this year paired BEAUTIFULLY with some Phillip Glass stuff. Never heard of this stuff before and probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for that bands use of it. But it is REALLY cool in terms of some contemporary stuff that could be used. I really love getting exposed to new music and stuff I've never heard of before.

And the field version:

Think the list of corps that I could hear using that kind of stuff is:

Bluecoats

Blue Knights (DEFINITELY Blue Knights)

Blue Stars?

Oregon Crusaders

Seattle Cascades

Legends

Also find it cool he was very supportive and gave them a shoutout and shared their video on his Facebook page. Think it's always really cool when an artist who is definitely not in the drum corps/marching band loop does that.

Also, heard this in Winterguard last year (Flanagan I think?), and bought an album of his. Really beautiful stuff.

Also, another shoutout for Arvo Part and Spiegel Im Spiegel:

I don't know if anyone's said this or not, and I'm not sure if corps has performed this, but Shostakovich's Second Waltz would be so cool to here: https://youtu.be/mmCnQDUSO4I

I realize it might be a challenge to convert all of those string and woodwind parts to brass, but it can be done.

Broken Arrow HS's 2015 show had the song as their ballad, and it was beautiful.

(You can do the trombone solo now! Thanks 2014 rule change!)

I don't know if anyone's said this or not, and I'm not sure if corps has performed this, but Shostakovich's Second Waltz would be so cool to here: https://youtu.be/mmCnQDUSO4I

I realize it might be a challenge to convert all of those string and woodwind parts to brass, but it can be done.

Broken Arrow HS's 2015 show had the song as their ballad, and it was beautiful.

(You can do the trombone solo now! Thanks 2014 rule change!)

The Academy 2014.

:)

There's a high school in Texas (Leander) that's at the top of their game right now that used this from this really interesting artist Son Lux as their 2015 opener, and is using him again this year paired BEAUTIFULLY with some Phillip Glass stuff. Never heard of this stuff before and probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for that bands use of it. But it is REALLY cool in terms of some contemporary stuff that could be used. I really love getting exposed to new music and stuff I've never heard of before.

And the field version:

Think the list of corps that I could hear using that kind of stuff is:

Bluecoats

Blue Knights (DEFINITELY Blue Knights)

Blue Stars?

Oregon Crusaders

Seattle Cascades

Legends

Also find it cool he was very supportive and gave them a shoutout and shared their video on his Facebook page. Think it's always really cool when an artist who is definitely not in the drum corps/marching band loop does that.

Also, heard this in Winterguard last year (Flanagan I think?), and bought an album of his. Really beautiful stuff.

Also, another shoutout for Arvo Part and Spiegel Im Spiegel:

Having not paid attention to the Texas high school marching band scene in close detail...for a while...Leander's back?!?!?!? Awesome!

What else has happened with that? Presumably CTJ has taken over the mantle of "awesome San Antonio band" from Churchill and Reagan before them? Cedar Park still doing things? Anyone big in Houston other than The Woodlands? I vaguely recall Hebron moving on top of Marcus/Bell in D/FW a few years back--that still a thing? Also, is Round Rock still a thing? Any of the other Austin schools?

Sorry...I think I just released all of my latent Texas band nerd left over from high school...

Having not paid attention to the Texas high school marching band scene in close detail...for a while...Leander's back?!?!?!? Awesome!

What else has happened with that? Presumably CTJ has taken over the mantle of "awesome San Antonio band" from Churchill and Reagan before them? Cedar Park still doing things? Anyone big in Houston other than The Woodlands? I vaguely recall Hebron moving on top of Marcus/Bell in D/FW a few years back--that still a thing? Also, is Round Rock still a thing? Any of the other Austin schools?

Sorry...I think I just released all of my latent Texas band nerd left over from high school...

Will send you a PM.

There are definitely some new names on the block and some old ones that have fallen back a bit.

• Like 1

I've put it on here before, but Nils Frahm is a genius. What he does on pianos is incredibly percussive, and there are a lot of different directions corps could take with his madness.

Toilet Brushes

Hammers

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2