The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

I mentioned The Piano Guys a little while back. This piece of theirs was used in the Wando High School Marching Band's show that was in BOA Grand National Finals. The marching band arrangement was quite good, but a drum corps arrangement would be transcendent if done right. Phantom, Crown, or SCV.

LOVED that ballad.

That Keller band is huge. Wow. Are there a lot of marching bands like that?

Counting quickly on a halftime video (more straight lines = easier counting), I make Keller at 292, but I think that includes a couple dozen alternates who don't play in competitions. In Ohio, I think there are only three competitive bands (out of roughly 225 competing groups) in the 300-member range, and maybe ten in all with at least 200 members. (Some non-competitive OH bands are larger still, are a number of groups in other states; doesn't Allen High School, also of Texas, put 600 members on the field?)

3 things i'd like to see corps do, anime, star wars, and transformers, would make the season for me if any corps played music from those 3 things.

Three things I'd like to see corps do: anime, Star Wars, and Transformers; it would make the season for me if any corps played music from those three things.

Speaking of movie music, this is a really cool video:

It's part of a fantastic occasional series called "Every Frame a Painting" that presents a lot of fascinating information on cinematic technique.

3 things i'd like to see corps do, anime, star wars, and transformers, would make the season for me if any corps played music from those 3 things.

Speaking of the first theme, would love a corps to try this:

https://youtu.be/_HyCUr95LEU

Speaking of movie music, this is a really cool video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

It's part of a fantastic occasional series called "Every Frame a Painting" that presents a lot of fascinating information on cinematic technique.

What's neat is how it explains why so many movies recently have similar-sounding music.

1982 old and so am I. Liked Tron then and intrigued by it now.

I did a quick google of the 1982 Tron composer.

Wendy Carlos (born Walter Carlos; November 14, 1939) is an American composer and keyboardist best known for her electronic music and film scores. Born and raised in Rhode Island, Carlos studied physics and music at Brown University before moving to New York City in 1962 to study music composition at Columbia University. Studying and working with various electronic musicians and technicians at the city's Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center, she oversaw the development of the Moog synthesizer, then a relatively new and unknown keyboard instrument designed by Robert Moog.

Carlos came to prominence with Switched-On Bach (1968), an album of music by Johann Sebastian Bach performed on a Moog synthesizer which helped popularize its use in the 1970s and won her three Grammy Awards. Its commercial success led to several more keyboard albums from Carlos of varying genres including further synthesized classical music adaptations and experimental and ambient music. She composed the score to two Stanley Kubrick films, A Clockwork Orange (1971) and The Shining (1980), and Tron (1982) for Walt Disney Productions.

I'm intrigued. Computers are supposed to help. Is the internet right?

Edited by lindap

1982 old and so am I. Liked Tron then and intrigued by it now.

Legends played some music from the more recent Tron this year.

Legends played some music from the more recent Tron this year.

Awesome. Thanks. I forgot there were 2 Tron movies; 1982 and 2010. Random thoughts. I'm a fan of Vangelis and Segovia, was sick last week, listened to Gary Burton and ELP yesterday. I may come back here when I'm feeling better and more coherent. Thanks again.