The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Just now, corpsband said:

Did you come across this channel?  I would bring him onboard as a consultant!  

Indeed.  I'd love that.  Now the question is who......

It doesn't really fit into anyone's style or approach of show so it'd be something radically different from what whoever would do it would have done before.  

14 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

I'd love a show based around Korean or Japanese folk music......I just love the sounds, styles, and beautiful simplicity of it.   I LOVE this version of the very beloved folk song "Arirang" from Korea.  

lots of pentatonic stuff. gets old real quick. but i'm a big fan of creative folk arrangements like this, and like grainger created. drum corps needs more of it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

It doesn't really fit into anyone's style or approach of show so it'd be something radically different from what whoever would do it would have done before.  

Now THAT'S a good question!  The only corps that popped into my head was Glassmen.  Maybe someone like the Colts?  Dunno. 

Here's the REALLY fun part.  Look into other Bulgarian music.  Very distinctive contributions in classical, church, and pop (chaiga) .  The menu is so varied you could "go Bulgarian" for a number of shows :-)   I really like some of their church stuff - it's a very distinctive blend of eastern and western influences. Musically it's a very fascinating place. 

And yeah, last night was actually one of the few youtube 2 hour clicking related video binges that was actually beneficial.  I was trying to remember what a high school used as their opener and it was Kaval, and it went down...uphill from there.  

If it wasn't for drum corps I probably would have never stumbled onto that stuff ever.  Drum corps has exposed me to a TON of music, some of my music history professors were shocked at some of the stuff I knew and it was because drum corps draw from a bunch of sources.  It's been beneficial, even as just a fan, to my education.  

This thread has showed me a ton of new stuff too.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

And yeah, last night was actually one of the few youtube 2 hour clicking related video binges that was actually beneficial.  I was trying to remember what a high school used as their opener and it was Kaval, and it went down...uphill from there.  

If it wasn't for drum corps I probably would have never stumbled onto that stuff ever.  Drum corps has exposed me to a TON of music, some of my music history professors were shocked at some of the stuff I knew and it was because drum corps draw from a bunch of sources.  It's been beneficial, even as just a fan, to my education.  

This thread has showed me a ton of new stuff too.  

DCI was definitely a gateway for me into classical/instrumental music. The first show I saw in person was BD 93, so that probably accelerated it a bit for me.   

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

That's  one I really enjoyed in that channel.  So beautiful.  Music is amazing. The end.