The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

4 minutes ago, corpsband said:

It's gorgeous.  

Is it bad that we want to put all this music on a football field :-) 

Nah, thinking back to some of my favorite drum corps ballads that level of musical power can be occasionally reached, albeit rarely on a field.    

It's just a matter of doing it right and respecting the integrity of it.  I could see that totally as a non spliced up 3 or so minute ballad.  

I'm hooked on this stuff now.  

Edited by DrumManTx

Just now, DrumManTx said:

Nah, thinking back to some of my favorite drum corps ballads that level of musical power can be occasionally reached, albeit rarely   

It's just a matter of doing it right and respecting the integrity of it.  I could see that totally as a non spliced up 3 or so minute ballad.  

Oh that comment was tongue-in-cheek.  And I agree with respecting the integrity of the music (which is why Michael Klesch is a superhero) .

• Like 1

I would LOVE to see more corps do Khachaturian.  Particulary Adagio from Spartacus.  I know PR and BDB have already done it, but it needs a whole movement; I mean seriously listen to this ( for best results start at 6:00):   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZLMKkEGFRo

Edited by BoaDci

What do they say about forbidden fruit?

I know this is one that he does not allow to be used unless it's under VERY specific circumstances and boundaries.  Unless a drum corps plans to do a show about Schindlers List without deviating much from the original it's something we will probably never see.  I know a few years ago a skater from Russia used it for her program and the Olympics and it was pretty dang beautiful (I think that she won gold that year).  

On the subject of folk music, I've become a little obsessed over the past year or so with Estonian folk music by Cyrillus Kreek. 

I think this is beautiful. The way he works with harmony reminds me a little of Grainger:

And here's another version I've posted before:

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MikeD said:

One of my favorite songs from one of my all-time favorite films....

and I already have a show written from the band I teach, complete with cello solo on this song.   :lle:

Crouching_Tiger_Hidden_Dragon_2000_74283

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enZmZkr2DJ0

I've wondered why a lot of this soundtrack hasn't shown up for Div I for years. I assumed it was some sort of licensing/arranging problem, but since you did it, I guess that's wrong. 

Definitely would love to see more corps tackle this.