The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

1 hour ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

I agree about Mahler's 1st, 2nd movement.  It is my favorite symphony.  Also love the triumphant, horses galloping section of the 4th movement.

Excuse my newness if this has already been done, and done with excellence, but I would be thrilled to hear a show open up with this one, right after the vocal ends.  It needs a great low brass section to pull it off.

It has been a long time since a WC corps has done it. I agree! Great feel to the song. Always wanted to see what one of the big boys could do with this song. I think it has been since the early 2000's since someone used it (Open class, maybe?). Didn't the Cavies do it back in the 70's or 80's? Anyone in WC since?

• Like 1

I'm ready for some more prog rock/prog metal in DCI. We had a taste of Dream Theater a few years back (was it Teal Sound?) I'd love to hear some King's X, Fates Warning, or Queensryche.

I sometimes imagine what Down Side Up would have been like if Bloo had replaced Great Gig with Kings X's "The Big Picture."

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Precious Roy said:

I'm ready for some more prog rock/prog metal in DCI. We had a taste of Dream Theater a few years back (was it Teal Sound?) I'd love to hear some King's X, Fates Warning, or Queensryche.

I sometimes imagine what Down Side Up would have been like if Bloo had replaced Great Gig with Kings X's "The Big Picture."

Would love to hear this by some brave corps. 

Edited by Lance

4 hours ago, JT76 said:

It has been a long time since a WC corps has done it. I agree! Great feel to the song. Always wanted to see what one of the big boys could do with this song. I think it has been since the early 2000's since someone used it (Open class, maybe?). Didn't the Cavies do it back in the 70's or 80's? Anyone in WC since?

Children of Sanchez was kind of a running joke...In 1979 it was done by 8th place Blue Stars, 9th place North Star, 11th place Cavaliers and 16th place Garfield Cadets.

• Like 2

DCI needs more Richard Strauss on the field. (Phantom Regiment, I'm looking at you)

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

I agree about Mahler's 1st, 2nd movement.  It is my favorite symphony.  Also love the triumphant, horses galloping section of the 4th movement.

It was the first piece I ever played with my local symphony as a 16 year old kid. I played with them for 3 years, and never enjoyed another piece nearly as much. 

I still remember the principal french horn player yelled out "MEDIC!" after the first full play through. That 4th movement is especially crazy, even for Mahler. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lance said:

It was the first piece I ever played with my local symphony as a 16 year old kid. I played with them for 3 years, and never enjoyed another piece nearly as much. 

I still remember the principal french horn player yelled out "MEDIC!" after the first full play through. That 4th movement is especially crazy, even for Mahler. 

Wow - I'm impressed that you were in a symphony at age 16 that could handle this piece.  What instrument did you play?  The French horns have such a great part in the 2nd movement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Children of Sanchez was kind of a running joke...In 1979 it was done by 8th place Blue Stars, 9th place North Star, 11th place Cavaliers and 16th place Garfield Cadets.

I was afraid of something like that.  Have patience with us new folks. 

13 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Wow - I'm impressed that you were in a symphony at age 16 that could handle this piece.  What instrument did you play?  The French horns have such a great part in the 2nd movement.

A non-professional local symphony that also happened to be in a location where a lot of very good musicians from the state retired. 

I remember our director almost scrapped it because the double reeds had such a hard time with the cuckoo clock timing in the 1st movement. 

I played clarinet, and I was one of the principal's students. All of the parts were for C clarinet, and I couldn't transpose on the fly back then. so I wrote out a lot of it for Bb clarinet on staff paper.

It was the one and only time I ever got to perform with my HS band director, who made time for it because (1) it was Mahler, and (2) the director wanted either 8 or 10 horns, and we only had 5 regulars. 

Edited by Lance
  • Like 1