The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

On 7/14/2017 at 3:52 PM, Lance said:

love it.

amazing to me how little thomas newman has been done in dci for ballads

suds on the roof from shawshank is also beautiful

He had been turning down requests recently, but upon seeing that the Legends have programmed some of his cues from Wall-E this season, I have confidence that we'll start to hear more of his music on the field in the near future.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown

On 7/10/2017 at 2:36 PM, Lance said:

Brass players like to breathe and stuff, lol. But yeah, I'd love more Baroque on the field.

I've had a show concept called BaROqKufloating around in my head for awhile.

Would love it to include this nifty little piece by Vivaldi [Concerto RV558].

There's a couple bassoon concertos by Vivaldi which have some parts I think would sound quite nice in drum corps transcriptions.

But among my very favorite pieces of music are his concertos for mandolin (RV425) and two mandolins (RV532).

Here's the former, maybe a bit too restrained, but with some interesting staging:

Ha ha ha! How about some Daft Punk?

For instance, as played today by a French military band:

Came across that on a political twitter feed (because of who's in the audience). Scrolling down just a few replies, I read the following:

---"Made the mistake of showing this to my wife... huge marching band geek... she didn't have nice things to say about the marching. lol."

---"...and now she's ranting about proper marching & has started demonstrating things..."

---"She's still going... My god, what have I done..."

---"She's somehow segued into the difference between instructors at Vanguard and the Blue Devils... something about making the French run laps.."

-----"Casually say "The Phantom Regiment are overrated", and see if her eyes pop out. - Fellow band nerd"

---"Oh, no... I know better than to say something like that"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Let's revisit one of the tunes that Regiment announced for the 2015 show but didn't end up using: Poulenc's piano concerto. GREAT tune, especially love the ballad (at 10:10 or so).

Love me some Poulenc. The first movement of the following concerto is something that I particularly want to hear on the field.

• Like 1

I would really like to see a corps tackle Anthracite Fields by Julia Wolfe. I think that Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Crown, SCV, or even the Cavaliers could do it and still be in their stylistic wheelhouses.

Movement I: Foundation

Movement II: Breaker Boys

Movement III: Speech

Movement IV: Flowers

Movement V: Applicances

Edited by pudding

On 7/14/2017 at 8:45 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Ha ha ha! How about some Daft Punk?

For instance, as played today by a French military band:

Came across that on a political twitter feed (because of who's in the audience). Scrolling down just a few replies, I read the following:

---"Made the mistake of showing this to my wife... huge marching band geek... she didn't have nice things to say about the marching. lol."

---"...and now she's ranting about proper marching & has started demonstrating things..."

---"She's still going... My god, what have I done..."

---"She's somehow segued into the difference between instructors at Vanguard and the Blue Devils... something about making the French run laps.."

-----"Casually say "The Phantom Regiment are overrated", and see if her eyes pop out. - Fellow band nerd"

---"Oh, no... I know better than to say something like that"

The American guest is being polite, full well knowing that Euponitone, once of DCP, and  lifeime American Ambassador for Writing Drill for Competitive (DCE) French DBC from Brittany, has his staff of Madison alums, Regiment alums, Cadets alums and several others at the ready as they have successfully done this in years past. Current French prez may be holding off EU entry from Ireland, Holland, Britain, Germany, and Italy. However, the costume/uniform folks in the States might have a challenge here, even without a WGI guard or the faux-guard from Moulin Rouge.

Don't worry though. We're sending them Cadet2000 and Tekk will have them in shape.

Edited by xandandl