The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Oh yeah, and this. I totally agree with the more Snarky Puppy should be used. But add a hornline taking on Jacob Collier harmonies would have me throwing babies.....

• Like 2

The same album from which the Snarky Puppy song @shawnguitarguy mentioned came from has this track that is very much in the vein of the Bluecoats.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

This is not a suggestion for music, per se, but a suggestion of different percussion instruments to try in the pit.

I saw a show at the Brooklyn Academy of Music last night that featured Vietnamese percussion instruments.  Here is a video of the percussionist playing some of them:

• Like 2

On 2/8/2016 at 2:11 AM, Musicman1084 said:

Yes, yes, yes. Phenomenal song. Come to think of it, there are a lot of artists who fall under the Baroque Pop/Indie Folk genres that could translate very well to the field, and in fact, some corps already have tried. Bluecoats with Fiona Apple, Rufus Wainwright & Bon Iver, BDB with Lana Del Rey, Blue Knights with Regina Spektor, etc.

I would love to see some corps use music from Belle & Sebastian, Arcade Fire, Copeland, Iron & Wine, Tori Amos and Sufjan Stevens. All of them have plenty of source music that could translate to the field (I'm looking at you, Bloo).

Yes a thousand times. I just discovered Sufjan Stevens last night and have listened to three of his albums already. I don't know how I could have not known about this guy until now because his first album came out in 2000 and by the end of this year he'll have 12. A good deal of new music I hear is because of Drum Corps and I think someone dropped the ball with this guy's stuff.  Illinoise and Brooklyn Queens Expressway are ripe for the Drum Corps arena. 

Regards,

John

speaking of baroque/indie/electronic pop, most of the songs on Passion Pit's album Gossamer could translate well to dci, imo. 

any of the neighborhood songs by Arcade Fire, too. 

one of my side projects is to arrange Spektor's "Human of the Year" as a ballad. i'll probably get around to it this summer.

lots of really great source material out there that's at least somewhat popular, and i'd easily put it on par with most of the original compositions and wind ensemble pieces that get done all the time. 

On 10/5/2017 at 11:41 AM, sarnia sam said:

Yes a thousand times. I just discovered Sufjan Stevens last night and have listened to three of his albums already. I don't know how I could have not known about this guy until now because his first album came out in 2000 and by the end of this year he'll have 12. A good deal of new music I hear is because of Drum Corps and I think someone dropped the ball with this guy's stuff.  Illinoise and Brooklyn Queens Expressway are ripe for the Drum Corps arena. 

Regards,

John

Finally, after well over a year, someone agrees. :)

I can't wait for his new single, Mystery of Love, to come out.  It's been featured in a trailer for an upcoming indie flick and I just can't get enough.

Since my previous post mentioned Tori Amos, I wanted to post a video on here. She recently performed a cover of Bjork's Hyperballad, which I always thought would make a phenomenal ballad in a drum corps show.  This version is just so subdued and pretty.  Some others, including Robyn (I'll also post it below), have also covered the song and their arrangements show how the song, which is more heavily electronic and at times slightly frantic due to the percussion, can eventually be translated to an orchestral or wind ensemble setting.

• Like 1