The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

20 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

True. I just hope that it doesn't become Sound of Silence 2.0 where literally every band and corps is playing it (but knowing my luck, that will probably be the case).

Also, I mainly mentioned Cash because Whitacre uses the lyric from that cover in the line "I wear this crown of ____".

that makes sense

i'd prefer vocals be left out entirely

and i'd prefer the actual lyric that reznor wrote if i had to deal with vocals in a dci show featuring the piece

odds of either of my preferences being met if done by a top corps?  probably 0, lol. 

Edited by Lance

Recently heard a fine collegiate choir perform literature by composer Elaine Hagenberg. Her works are beautiful-soaring lines, engaging, and her use of textures & suspensions would appeal, in my opinion to fans who love the sonority of a DCI hornline. 

LOTS of possibilities from the pen of this talented composer. Just as a suggestion [particularly was appreciative of the second piece]

Song of Miriam [women's voices] adapted for an opener

As well as O Love [Mixed voices] adapted as a ballad and/or closer

Her website:

http://www.elainehagenberg.com/index.html

Give her a listen!

Edited by JAZZER
  • Like 1

Not really music corps should do, but I would like to see some counter-traditional techniques used in percussion. Just off the wall stuff like the Buddy Rich New Orleans style rolls and other similar flourishes. Not sure if the judges would appreciate it, but if they fit with the theme of the show, I would toss babies!

On 2/1/2018 at 1:38 PM, JAZZER said:

Recently heard a fine collegiate choir perform literature by composer Elaine Hagenberg. Her works are beautiful-soaring lines, engaging, and her use of textures & suspensions would appeal, in my opinion to fans who love the sonority of a DCI hornline. 

LOTS of possibilities from the pen of this talented composer. Just as a suggestion [particularly was appreciative of the second piece]

Song of Miriam [women's voices] adapted for an opener

As well as O Love [Mixed voices] adapted as a ballad and/or closer

Her website:

http://www.elainehagenberg.com/index.html

Give her a listen!

Nice find.

A number of her pieces seem quite translatable in the hands of a great horn line and a competent arranger both able to articulate nuance. Not just DCI, but a number of those Olympic figure skaters might also find her works of benefit for their productions. On the marching arts pitch, I wonder how these pieces might sound with the increased tempo of today's show or is the effect restricted to the grand sweeps of a slower rendering as proposed by the composer?

On 1/28/2018 at 2:59 PM, Cadevilina Crown said:

True. I just hope that it doesn't become Sound of Silence 2.0 where literally every band and corps is playing it (but knowing my luck, that will probably be the case).

This was my thought too.  Only I had "Fly to Paradise 2.0" because of the Whitacre connection.   But it does fit the dark theme connection of Sound of Silence (with the Disturbed arrangement) more.

Speaking of dark themes with pop tunes.  How about a show feature music by The Smiths?  Cadets could break out the black uniforms again, but leave the shakos off and go with dyed black hair and long bangs.

5 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

Speaking of dark themes with pop tunes.  How about a show feature music by The Smiths?  Cadets could break out the black uniforms again, but leave the shakos off and go with dyed black hair and long bangs.

are you being paid by De Moolah?

Edited by xandandl