The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

On 1/20/2018 at 9:59 PM, Lance said:

and this has inferno-esque crown brass feature written all over it

Phantom 2013

On 3/29/2018 at 1:13 PM, DrumManTx said:

I love Liszt, what an interesting character he was.  You could not only use his music for a show but the man himself for thematic content, that whole era of virtuoso's and creating music that was just bonkers to play is super interesting to read about.  Or I'm just a huge nerd which is entirely possible.  

Ken Russel did a film with Roger Daltrey of the Who  about it which gave birth to the Phoenix song of the same name; Lisztomania. I’m a fan of some of Russel’s films but not that one

This thread is so old, not sure if I already mentioned Carl Nielsen Rhapsody Overture, 'An Imaginary Trip to the Faroe Islands'

17 hours ago, Tim K said:

Another French opera championed by Ozawa is Offenbach’s Tales of Hoffman. It’s a great theme for a corps with sophisticated music that’s fun and enjoyable. I think Phantom could give the Berlioz works justice and Academy could have a great time with Hoffman.

I was just reading yesterday how a local light opera company's repertoire this summer includes Offenbach's La Périchole plus a sing-through of his The Three Kisses of the Devil.

In the 1950s, there was a British movie version of The Tales of Hoffman by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, the filmmaking team best known for A Matter of Life and Death, Black Narcissus, and The Red Shoes.

On 1/20/2018 at 9:59 PM, Lance said:

Still hoping that a corps plays this absolutely exuberant little piece by Britten [from Four Sea Interludes]

Here are members of The Cleveland Orchestra playing excerpts from that work (and from John Adams's Shaker Loops which Bluecoats played a couple years ago) as part of The Good Peaches, a play with music written by Quiara Alegría Hudes (Pulitzer Prize winner for Water by the Spoonful).

cph041416028.jpg

59 minutes ago, Trent Dang said:

Maslanka 2nd Symphony - 4th Mvt in its entirety, non-stop.

https://youtu.be/gXYzaOratOs?t=20m9s

Over in DCA, the Buccaneers have announced their 2018 repertoire, which includes something from Maslanka's fourth symphony.

I like that clip you posted from the second symph., but isn't it too long for drum corps "in its entirety"?

Hi y'all. At some point within the week I'll have the playlist completely updated.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

omg

where did you get this time

can I have some

why am I still awake at this hour

My dude, I started on this 4 years ago. I left it alone for like 3 years and now I have a backlog of 83 pages to work on :blink: But I have no motivation to my dorm and as such am still inn my universities fine arts building, so instead of practicing (lol) i'm doing something very productive. Finally getting back to this.