The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

42 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Kendrick Lamar just became the first non-classical or non-jazz artist to win a Pulitzer Prize in Music.

Rap doesn't translate well to drum corps, though.

While on the subject of the Pulitzers, I'd love to see a corps do Julia Wolfe's Anthracite Fields, which won back in 2014. BK could do amazing things with Breaker Boys (Mvmt. 2) and Flowers (Mvmt. 4)

Mvmt. 2

https://youtu.be/DCHufi4S7-o

Mvmt. 4

https://youtu.be/Y41Qlu6W0Oo

Edited by MelloMatt
mobile freakin sucks to type on

Second on Anthracite Fields.  I forget how I discovered that, but I immediately thought some of that could translate very very well.

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Kendrick Lamar just became the first non-classical or non-jazz artist to win a Pulitzer Prize in Music.

Rap doesn't translate well to drum corps, though.

Tell that to the Guardians, whose show this coming season (titled "####ED.") is inspired by that very album.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

28 years later and still nobody has the balls to touch Belshazzar's Feast again.  So much good material in the source music.

• Like 3

On 4/17/2018 at 12:00 AM, Medeabrass said:

28 years later and still nobody has the balls to touch Belshazzar's Feast again.  So much good material in the source music.

Which seems rather odd to me given the fact that ( as you would know ) Composer Walton had a Chorus as an integral and major component of the composition that he wrote. In the 90's,  a chorus was disallowed in DCI competition. As such, Star could not have utilized a chorus if they had chosen too. (  After Star of Indiana left DCI, Blast! The Show utilized chorus in a few selections in their theatre production ) Today several Corps utilize Voice in their shows, and even in a few cases , a chorus. I sometimes wonder what a modern Corps could do with this, unrestrained by any disallowance of the utilization of singing.

Edited by BRASSO

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a university orchestra/choir/dance concert over the weekend. The "title" of the concert was Sacra/Profana and featured Les Noces and Symphony of Psalms. Seems like it'd make a neat show concept (like Cadets 2011 but without Hans Zimmer).

Les Noces generally wasn't my thing, but it had some occasionally cool odd-rhythm moments. 

Symphony of Psalms had some really cool moments.