The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

Now whether The Cadets segue their various iterations of MASS, SCV swings the pendulum from The Devil's Staircase, or Carolina Crown gives us a different perspective of INFERNO, this seems interesting and might even unite Noobies, Rookies, and Dinos on DCP.

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2018/05/06/607020904/the-sistine-chapel-gets-its-own-high-tech-spectacle-with-music-by-sting

Am I the only one that's begging for more Vaughan Williams? I was looking on CorpsReps, and 75 percent of what's been played by him is English Folk Song Suite, and only two of his symphonies have been touched (1 & 8). I'd adore hearing 3-5 on the field. Also I'd like to hear fantasia on a theme by thomas tallis done again

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MelloMatt said:

Am I the only one that's begging for more Vaughan Williams? I was looking on CorpsReps, and 75 percent of what's been played by him is English Folk Song Suite, and only two of his symphonies have been touched (1 & 8). I'd adore hearing 3-5 on the field. Also I'd like to hear fantasia on a theme by thomas tallis done again

Me too.

It's a tough one because the big emotional impacts are so rubato, kind of like Barber's Adagio and Hovhannes's Prayer of St. Gregory. 

• Like 1

In high school band in the 80s, we did Linden Lea as an on field warm up before the show to get a sense of what the venue sounded like before hitting the show. 

We had parents and members from other bands come up to us after shows to comment on how gorgeous it sounded and how it “cleared the field” to set up for our opening hit. 

One of the open clas Corps did on field warm ups recently like that and a number of is online shared fond memories of the practice. It was almost like a ritual then a breath before the big jump. 

Edited by KVG_DC

6 hours ago, Lance said:

Me too.

It's a tough one because the big emotional impacts are so rubato, kind of like Barber's Adagio and Hovhannes's Prayer of St. Gregory. 

And if you look at those specific pieces, SCV used Adagio fantastically and in the High School realm, Broken Arrow's performance of St. Gregory in 2012 was simply transcendent. A corps using the horn calls and vocal parts in Pastoral Symphony like that? Gutsy, but I can imagine the silence in the dome as the audience takes time to process the experience, then leaps to their feet screaming. Chills.

Rutter's Suite for Strings

I tried to look this up on DCX and was lost.  I did find a list of many Rutter works I guess were used in shows when I queried 'repertoire' but honestly, I miss corpsreps :unhappy: or maybe I just don't know how to use DCX properly.

Anyway, Rutter's Suite for Strings... has anyone used any part of that?  Has some very accessible, crowd pleasing folksy snippets (including a beautiful arrangement of The Water is Wide).  

With the returned emphasis on jazz and the trend of weird time signatures, I think this piece would be great for some groups, especially Bluecoats

Edited by brassdude6171

Playlist updated with everything I've seen available on Spotify. PM me if I missed anything that you can see on Spotify and I'll fix it

https://open.spotify.com/user/121558955/playlist/7boK69R7qxeWoJyJ7LK3xq?si=URKjKyryQd6mgD43Mhor-w

• 2 weeks later...

I know a lot of you aren’t particularly fond of movie soundtracks (which I think is unfortunate because there’s some really awesome, well-layered pieces out there) but I thought this piece really jumped out as something that would fit Phantom’s sound really well. 

The beginning of this piece would make for an awesome opener and the last minute or so have the makings of a soft/quiet ending. 

• Like 1