The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

On 2/4/2018 at 12:55 PM, xandandl said:

Nice find.

A number of her pieces seem quite translatable in the hands of a great horn line and a competent arranger both able to articulate nuance. Not just DCI, but a number of those Olympic figure skaters might also find her works of benefit for their productions. On the marching arts pitch, I wonder how these pieces might sound with the increased tempo of today's show or is the effect restricted to the grand sweeps of a slower rendering as proposed by the composer?

Thanks.

I think that song of miriam at 170 bpm would be fun, has drum breaks built in.

• 2 weeks later...

We talked about Hector Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique tonight in one of my graduate music history courses.  I know it’s been done before on the field but not quite in the way I’m imagining now after digging into that work and discussing it.  The idea of the fixation on an idea, his issues with drugs and mental problems, the programmatic nature and story of the work, and the general idea of the fantastic in French literature at the time would make a very exciting basis to set a show in.   And of course the music is great.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/19/2018 at 7:43 PM, DrumManTx said:

We talked about Hector Berlioz’s Symphonie Fantastique tonight in one of my graduate music history courses.  I know it’s been done before on the field but not quite in the way I’m imagining now after digging into that work and discussing it.  The idea of the fixation on an idea, his issues with drugs and mental problems, the programmatic nature and story of the work, and the general idea of the fantastic in French literature at the time would make a very exciting basis to set a show in.   And of course the music is great.  

It would take catastrophic arranging for me not to play a show with Symphonie Fanstastique and Harold in Italy on infinite repeat. 

11 hours ago, Lance said:

I know SCV did Miss Saigon, but has a corps done this piece?  It's f'ing amazing. 

Maybe a corps will do a show called "Emotions" that only does 4-5 ballads, that as the year progresses fans have to bring Kleenex with them.

On 2/22/2018 at 8:17 PM, DrumManTx said:

As always I'm a proponent of hearing more percussion ensemble music on the field.  

Would be killer material to build a drum feature around, especially the licks around 7:35.  

That’d make a great closer for an awesome horn line, oh wait   

On 2/19/2018 at 10:43 PM, DrumManTx said:

Hmm. I just came here to post the clip below when I saw your post. A bit of Symphonie Fantastique, but with period instruments:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always had a fondness for the songs of the Classic IV. "Traces of Love" is my favorite, but I think something could be done with some others, too, like this one:

Though I can't recall: was David Dennison the keyboardist or the second guitarist?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1