Blue Devils Audition tips

Hello. I am a euphonium player. I am currently 19 years old and i plan on auditioning for BD before i age out and hopefully marching with them.

I just wanted any tips specifically for this corps on things they look for or things to work on for their camp.

Thanks for any help :)

Edit: I will be marching with Genesis in the 2015 season and I just really wish to march with BD.

Thanks with any help so far :)

Edited by frankv

Hello. I am a euphonium player. I am currently 19 years old and i plan on auditioning for BD before i age out and hopefully marching with them.

I just wanted any tips specifically for this corps on things they look for or things to work on for their camp.

Thanks for any help :)

Best of luck, Frank. If you possess the talent to even talk seriously of making BD, then I am highly jealous of you.

Work hard...all things are possible. My thoughts will go with you.

Seems to me, you aren't getting a lot of meaningful help here. Full disclosure first....I am an alumni of Blue Devils back around the time the dinosaurs went extinct so my experience with auditioning for them is irrelevent.

However, my son auditioned for them this year so I can tell you a little of his experience. First, I'm not going to lie, it's an intimdating environment. Probably no more so than any top drum corps but intimidating none the less. You're going to be nervous so telling you not to be is just dumb. Try to remember though that everyone else there is just as nervous as you. Your best weapon against nerves...be prepared. You have to go in knowing the audition packet cold, knowing your etudes cold. You are competing against the best of the best, usually for very limited spots so you have to give them no excuse to not take you seriously.

Don't be too concerned with a specific marching style but you need to be very comfortable with movement. They stressed staying relaxed a lot at my son's audition. Also, if it is at all possible get some formal dance training. It will help you with your balance, control, strength and confidence. They spent a huge amount of time (maybe 3/4?) in the movement segment of the camp doing ballet and dance basics.

Most important, don't let anyone tell you you're crazy or that you don't have a prayer...you do. You just have to remember that the Blue Devils are going to attract the very best of the best, and usually a lot of them! If that's where you want to be then do your homework, go in prepared and give it your best shot.

Good luck!

Dan

• Like 9

I would try out for another corps to fully understand the physical and mental conditioning along with the financial and time responsibilities you'll need to succeed. You may find a home elsewhere in the process so if you don't get accepted in BD, you'll at least get to march with friends made elsewhere. All corps will offer you an experience you'll tememver for a lifetime.

Edited by Tobias

I'm also an BD alum (marched with Dan Dertweiler in 84, in fact)...I had ZERO drum corps experience and still made the brass line...although, as Dan said it's a LOT different now than it was 30 years ago.

That being said...remember that they may not want you at August skill level...if they see someone with the work ethic and the basic skills they can work with over the seasoin, that'll make you stand out.

Don't go in with a 'tude...trust m, they've seen it before. Let your skills, attentivness, work ethic, and willingness tio take their instruction aboard speak for you,

And if you DON'T make it...f'Pete's sake, march SOMEWHERE. Don't give SCV, Cavies Cadets, Regiment, Lousisiana Stars, BDB, etc a miss just because you didn't make BDA the first time around...you'll only cheat yourself out of the drum corps experience...and that's not somethingh exclusive to BD,.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 3

I think a lot of good stuff has been shared here, particularly the advice to get some fundamental dance training. The way they move is based in ballet and modern dance, even down to their marching technique so knowing the language is a must. Keep in mind, they are the Blue Devils, so they can simply dive into visual training using dance vocabulary and expect prospectives to know that language.

I wouldn't let anyone discourage you from auditioning at Blue Devils, but with no previous experience, I'd definitely check out some other options along the way. The vast majority of people who march there marched somewhere else first. That's not to say you have no chance. None of us can tell you that, as none of us are on staff with Blue Devils, and none of us have seen you play or march. But having another option so that you don't get stuck with nowhere to march is huge. You'll do more to increase your chances of marching BD on the road with someone else over the summer than you will sitting at home, even if you practice a lot.

I agree with others that marching SOMEWHERE will make you a much better candidate for the Blue Devils in the future, but I would also encourage you to go through the audition process next year even if you do not think you will make it. You are going to get some valuable information on what you need to improve on to do better the next year. You can use that information and a Summer of experience with another corps to be better prepared for your next audition.

There have been a couple of other threads on auditioning with BD, so scroll through this forum. You'll see lots of good advice on those threads.

People have made Interesting points on dance training. I would think a top corps these days would take about 2 days out of all-days and spend most of both days doing dance basics, These folks are physically fit to start with so it would rapidly bring the terminology and practice together. Obviously with a focus on the particular moves that will be done during the show, but pretty much a Beginning Dance for the Physically Fit seminar.

This could be a spring camp also, but I would do it during all-days so the kids can immediately practice moves on their own during whatever downtime BD gets!