2015 Guard Season

Guardguy89

So.....

No fan Network, hardly any Youtube videos and no one is on this forum talking about shows this season......yet on the DCI forum, one drum corps show can get 10 reviews.

Come on people, it's gonna be a long winter if we don't at least have this forum to discuss shows while WGI gets it's act together on the Fan Netwrok front.

Any news.....any....even just a word ????

Later,

Mike

• Like 1

I completely agree guardguy89!

I think its complete BS there is no Fan Network. They can at least show this season shows and get rid of the archives. They better have a Champs webcam or I will be livid. We should all take and post videos when we go to shows or provide some reviews since we can only see guards near our areas. There are a number of shows online that I have seen.

IW

Frente- looks like a fun show. Lots of stuff going on, definitely entertaining

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRrFJP1UwY0

Diamante- Strong show, such a talented group of people. They have hands for days. Good to see them come back strong after their equipment truck was stolen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBcbTzRmbAY

USF- A fun show, they are Bees and the show is called swarm. It's a fun show and they are wearing skimpy uniforms! They will be a lot stronger once the show is cleaned and workshopped.

UCF Pegasus- Such a good show! Lots of great GE moments. They are doing a show about America, floor looks like its divided in three sections, section one is an American flag, section 2 is a military digital uniform print and section three is grass with goal post props. They throw footballs and use them while spinning. When I saw the show it wasn't finished, but they are off to a good start. Its gonna be interesting to see if they use red white and blue flags, considering they are using muse again this yr. Kinda reminiscent of last years show. Maybe its a continuation.

Empire- They are using Moonlight Sonata, and the show is titled "in this shirt". The show has some interesting moments in it. Particularly the end which is great staging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cesgn4WhQ1U

Black Gold- AMAZING! simply amazing. Such a strong show. They are doing "wicked games" on floor that looks like wallpaper. They have a strong movement book and equipment book. I am hoping they make finals this year!!

SW

Seminole- A stronger show than last year on a pink/peach floor. They are doing music by Steve Reich I believe.

Nease- Beautiful show. Its about butterflies. I think its called "set me free". They have a shadow box on the floor that moves on the floor. Great floor and use of color and flag design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GjHHzT-A-A

IO

Unity- They have a strong guard this year. Good hands and are off to a good start. I think their show is entitled "in the box" or something like that,

Black Crown- Interesting show. They have a pole (stripper pole) as a prop, they use this well. They are also doing Moonlight Sonata. Not sure what the show is about, but definitely worth watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVXhC2a8mmU

Aria- The show is good. They are doing a show about being trapped in a room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF_bWeavcoE

Pride of Missouri- Beautiful show, set to Foolish Games by jewel. They have umbrellas and doing a theme about rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6tG3xq42IM

Orlando Visual (OTV)- My fav show in IO so far. They are doing a show about chimney sweeps on a rooftop, They are doing music from marry poppins. Such a strong show. Def finals worthy.

Redemption Guard- Great show. They use chairs and move them into different arcs. The show is called hear no, see no, speak no, and they are using Queen bohemian Rhapsody without the vocals. They show name doesn't quite make much sense with the show. But they have half the show on flag and spin it well.. GE for days.

SO-

Lyman- Strong show. They have a like a glass cage type thing which rotates on the floor. Only saw a clip but looks like and interesting show

Bellbrook- This show will definitely make top 5 and likely medal. They are doing a show called "Harlequin" and it is about clowns. They do the first third of the show facing the back and then turn around to spin to Emelie Sande's "Clown". Byron Valentine has done a wonderful job with show design.

IA-

Purdue- Such a CLEVER show. Has amazing GE and great theme. Its like west side story but they are bellhops from different hotels. Red and Blue. Great use of costumes, props and flags. The door flag is a big highlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOA1Lx9x9Rc

Well that is it for now. Lets keep us all informed.

Edited by thedova
  • Like 1

Thanks Thedova! You've certainly seen more shows than me!

I did get to see Les Eclipses at their first show this season - another strong emotional performance from them set to a clever version of Kate Bush's "Running up that Hill". Really strong movement again this year, and a beautifully nuanced show.

Later,

Mike

I've just moved to Florida this year and went to my first winter guard show here. (Plant City show) (I went to quite a few shows in the mid contient ciricut around st Louis area from 2010-2014.) I was very impressed with some of the high school guards and of course both USF guards were awesome!!!

IW- USF- had a bee theme and it was very good loved the uniforms will do well at wgi!!!

IA USF- Take 5 so much was going on in this show need to watch it again very entertaining!!!

Tampa Indpendent- had a decent show for a first year guard wasn't the greatest or anything but what they did they did well

Bloomingdale HS- did a cover of every breath you take, had 3 guys taping their show on the floor on a video screen guard did a lot of high risk movements and were fun to watch.

Wiregrass Ranch- loved this group did mostly an old school show with limited dancing and very few equipment changes in the show did a jazz based show and it worked.

Newsome- they did if you out there by John Legend wow did some flag routines that were increbible.

Steinbrenner HS- I felt sorry for this guard as nothing was working and they got talent but never seen so many drops. could be a darkhorse if they clean up their show.

• 2 weeks later...

So....from what I've seen so far, there are alot of classical pieces being used this year - I wonder if it has anything to do with licensing rights for DVD ?

Just saw Tarpon Springs - "Mother Nature" show - it is astoundingly good. The equipment work is so intricate - wonderful show.

Fantasia - is doing Petrouchka (I think - sounded like the music) - not sure what I feel about this show yet, will need to see live. It just seems to be missing something. Costuming is beautiful

Later,

Mike

ok I went to the Orlando Regional and what a show!!! saw some guards that will compete for wgi championships!!!

Tarpon Springs- they were amazing!!!! mother nature show!!! so much going on in one show this one rivals Cavies 1983 show as the best show ever Please watch this guard.

Flanagan HS- Hereos show another amazing show by this guard it was dark and edgy.

Lyman- love this show at the end there is glass shuttering on the floor. and what they are doing with their prop is amazing!!! don't understand the low scores they should be at least 4 points ahead of their competition in their catergory

Braddock- kind of disappointing this year their design is a little bit too out there.

OTV- their show is about chimney sweepers a lot of fun and a lot of high risk movements

Lake Howell- within these walls it was a beautiful show to watch wgi should watch out for them!!!

Park Vista- wow so many high risk moves in class A a little bit dark and edgy show

congrats to all of the guards that competed you guys were amazing and I will be at UCF regional march 21st

• Like 1

I was wondering about Braddock when I saw the scores - is it even stranger than last year's show (which was kinda bizarre !)

If you're on Facebook, search mayflower winterguard and like their page. Their full performance from last weekend's WGI netherlands regional is on there. This is another Michael Shapiro show (who also wrote Tarpon's). Mayflower is not going to WGI this year but is their build up year to returning in 2016. Still, they are pretty good!