Inside the Arc - His Name was Clark

His name was Clark, and he wanted more than anything else to play a horn and make sounds like the ones he was hearing on the radio every time he walked home from school past the barber shop, where the men laughed, smoked and told stories about "The Great War". "You think that swings?" asked […]

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2015/03/inside-the-arc-his-name-was-clark/

• Like 1

Beautifully written.

Awesome read. I thoroughly enjoyed it . Thanks for sharing it.

Nice job, Frank! What I remember 'bout Clark is, while performing with the Tonight Show Orch., he once had the chance to trade licks with Al Hirt and Doc...well you gotta know *those* two were playin' notes like slot-machine jackpots...Clark just stood in the middle and when it was his turn, lo and behold, he played fine, artistic melodic ballad trumpet...my mom, who had a lot of music in her, was blown away by the contrast, and her and Clark just scooped me up!

My one personal connection with Clark was when I was a HS Music teacher in 1977. We brought Clark in for a day to work with our two jazz ensembles and do a night-time concert with them.

He was GREAT with the kids, and he was the nicest person you would ever want to meet. One of our kids and Clark did a "Mumbles" duet...they traded "Mumbles" routines back and forth. You could just tell he was enjoying himself and being with our kids. I don't think he stopped smiling all day long.

He also had about the least ego I've seen in a person of his stature. He actually changed into his concert clothes standing behind the band office door, sticking his head out and chatting with us staff while changing.

Tomorrow, 3/15 at 9:30 AM, many will gather at Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx for the memorial for Clark Terry.

He had served in the US Navy, but that service was not able to provide one bugler for the ceremony. No matter. The members of Bugles Across America have stepped up and, while it's not known how many will participate, the total nuimber will be significant and "Echo Taps" will ring out for this great man.

Somehow, that seems just about perfect.

• Like 2

Tomorrow, 3/15 at 9:30 AM, many will gather at Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx for the memorial for Clark Terry.

He had served in the US Navy, but that service was not able to provide one bugler for the ceremony. No matter. The members of Bugles Across America have stepped up and, while it's not known how many will participate, the total nuimber will be significant and "Echo Taps" will ring out for this great man.

Hopefully the family will allow the Patriot Guard Riders to participate.

The US Navy, Phi Mu Alpha, The Buglers Hall of Fame, Bugles Across America, the Bridgemen, the Phantom Regiment, the Sunrisers and Prime Time Brass were all represented among the echo taps contingent surrounding Clark Terry's resting place this morning.

The call (in the glorious key of G) rang out in the crisp morning air with all its natural harmonics layered in sequence, across the hillside, just north of Harlem, where the great man's marker stands within a few yards of those of Duke Ellington, Miles Davis, Cootie Williams, W.C. Handy and Louis Armstrong's mentor, King Oliver.

The buglers, and Clark, were in good company today.

• Like 3