New 6th-12th Grade Guard: Flag pole length and rehearsal ideas needed&

Palykro

Hi everyone!

I am part of a new marching band program in the Black Hills of South Dakota and am in charge of the guard. This is my first time running a guard and am in the process of purchasing equipment. I grew up using 5.5' fiberglass but have been getting the impression that the standard nowadays is for field shows to use 6' aluminum.

My dilemma is I will be having students from 6th grade through 12th grade. I am unsure as to whether the 6th graders could hanlde 6' or if I should have two different pole lengths or just go short all around. Anyone here have experience with an age range like this?

I am also wondering what everyone likes to do for rehearsals. We will be meeting an hour a week after school this spring, hours will change in summer, not sure to what yet. Does anyone have a favorite routine they follow at rehearsals? I'm particularily interested in how long you spend on warm-up/strength training/technique/choreography and what your favorite warm-up routine is?

I am a bit overwhelmed but have some VERY enthusiastic students that should make things fun. Any and all tips or advice would be appreciated!

-Patrisha

• Like 1