Bridgeport PAL

Norwood Park Imperials

Racine Scouts

St. Rita's Brassmen

and, more recently,

Dutch Boy

Seattle Imperials

Great list.

The Brassmen.... man, talk about a corps that was ahead of its time. Those Dreitzer charts they played... I remember them best from 1971 through 1973... were absolutely stellar.

Saw them/competed against them several times in the early to mid-1970s.

They never had a big horn line... but player-for-player, it was one of the best lines I've ever heard in drum corps. From what I recall, Ken Turner was involved with their horn line... perhaps as caption head?

They played some pretty high-rent stuff for a local-circuit corps... including "Capriccio Espagnol" and Moret's "Fanfare-Rondeau" (the theme from "Masterpiece Theatre"), among other charts... and they had a great sound.

Their sop soloist was Glenn Fischthal who wound up as principal trumpet in the San Francisco Symphony.

He positively nailed me to the wall one evening playing the Brandenburg solo. I had to find out who he was. "Oh yeah", he says, "drum corps. The rest of the orchestra thinks I play too loud, but Michael Tilson Thomas loves it."

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1

"From Back in the Day Part Deux":

St Joseph's of Batavia

St Raphael's Buccaneers

Blue Rock

St Mary's Cardinals

Skokie Vanguard

Conn Royal Lancers

Selden Cadets

Loretto Knights

Chicago Spartans

St Paul Scouts

More Recently:

Argonne Rebels

Glassmen

Miss them, and many many others....... :mellow:

Elphaba

The Hawks (Richmond CA)

Cathay

Commodore Perry Scouts

The Senoritas

...these were mid-early sixties California powers. Hawks in particular knocked young me OUT...even when in the same show as the nation's best ('63 Cavies) they held their own. Cathay was big and powerful and very ethnic (go figger)...the Senoritas usually had us boy-corps tied up in knots from *both* ends of the spectrum, just smiling sweetly and kicking our butz...Commodore Perry was a SoCal group that won the state AL show in '62 and were strong for the next couple of years but stopped field operations after, I think, '65. Believe it or not, they are still in existence! They made the unbelievable decision to pursue Scouting (the Boy variety) and to this day have a parade corps and a thriving Troop (as an olde Eagle Scout who got swept up in the VK/Kingsmen/Anaheim Scout thing back then, I can't help thinking they made the correct choice for their constituency...who can argue?)...

My husband's cousin was a member of the Commodore Perry Scouts during the early 60's. His family used to refer to them as the Koyasan because they were a Boy Scout troop affiliated with the Koyasan Buddhist Temple.

My favorite non top 12 corps is of course Impulse especially 2006. Charlie Groh was the executive director and took a corps with only 22 horns and 56 total members and won the Division III title that year.