Best Little Corps?

Anybody remember the Sancians from, I think, Weymouth, MA?

One of my favorite "bloopers" on the drum corps field involved the Sancians at the 1972 VFW Nationals in Minneapolis, when one of their baritone players got his horn stuck on a flag that was passing him during a field maneuver. The young lady whipped her flag up, and the baritone went flying about 10 yards!

Aha! Ventures when they had the drum line on the sideline and danced with inflatable men? Creative! A gentlemen from Butler, Pennsylvania mailed me a photo years ago. Thank you.

That's interesting to hear of! Mason H.S. in 2013, who placed sixth at the BoA grand nationals, had a wedding-themed show in which the female guard were dressed as brides who danced with inflatable grooms. I've only seen a few clips, but apparently the marriages go comically sour--I know that Michael Boo described that show as one of the funniest he's seen, but I don't remember anyone citing the Ventures as a precedent for the technique.

Absolutely '94 Americanos -- tight ensemble, super-engaging show, big sound, and if memory serves, without a drum major.

Prompted by your post, I just found and watched that show. Wow! It's great. So entertaining, and it feels rather like some of the Governaires best shows.

• Like 1

That's interesting to hear of! Mason H.S. in 2013, who placed sixth at the BoA grand nationals, had a wedding-themed show in which the female guard were dressed as brides who danced with inflatable grooms. I've only seen a few clips, but apparently the marriages go comically sour--I know that Michael Boo described that show as one of the funniest he's seen, but I don't remember anyone citing the Ventures as a precedent for the technique.

DC-eye: Flashback Friday 1990 Ventures published October 2010 (I read more than I write, write more than I speak. Most of the time I observe, think and create;)

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=ac3a381d-80cc-40cb-a7fd-997cf924fb84

Best small corps -small but mighty and the first step of many on the way back to the corps we see today: The 1983 Boston Crusaders..."Boston" at the time. They had 51 total members and came in 21st which I think was still DCI Associate then. No corps, that size had ever finished that high. Very entertaining and had quite an attitude. The horn and drum lines were caught in a street melee outside the Orange Bowl with local gang kids, just before they were to perform at prelims. Somewhat rattled (some bruised & bloodied) they still went out and did an amazing job. No one in the stands had any idea what had just occurred minutes before. Most DCI people had no idea.

A judge one time asked a staff member why the corps always performed so well for such a small group. The reply was, "we don't consider ourselves small!"

• Like 1

Blue Notes from Ishpeming Mich back in the 70s. Did a magical mystery tour show that was da bomb (76-ish)

Americanos. Everytime I saw them, they had tight, clean shows.

Ventures always had innovative shows. The first time I saw them, they had the giant yellow pop out hats. That was the First time I ever saw someone modify their uniform on the field.

• 1 month later...

Boston 1983. Knights 1985.