Indiana's New Law

Do you have good seats? Can I buy your tickets? I just decided to go to help counteract people like you that have chosen not to support a wonderful activity in order to make a political statement. Never mind the fact that the organization you're hurting has nothing to do with the percieved wrong you're trying to right.

On second thought, I'll buy my tickets direct from DCI and let you eat yours.

Some of us don't feel it would be a "political statement".......

s/ guy who stopped going to certain businesses because of the way his friends were treated.....

PS sorry John but need to point out that non-LGBT could people take interest and possible action too (so not that off topic)....

PPSS - I'm close to 60 yrs old and been married about 25 years so it's not just a younger generation issue.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Wow just had a flashback to reading about PAL Cadets of Bridgeport going south for a national contest and black members being refused service.

The way the law is written, if a corps goes into a business and staff sees two people of the same sex holding hands can staff throw those two out? Or can they legally post a sign saying "No .... allowed" because of this law? In PA people can be fired legally because of this (Pennsyltucky) so interested if I'm reading this right.

This could affect corps housing and other needs if a business can legally say "WIll not do business with....". We've been fixating on ticket sales but let's think of other things....

I do think this may be a total different circumstance, although I get what you are saying. I can't speak for all ( maybe ) but your example is widely accepted through out the activity today ( thankfully ) It isn't odd to see this at all including same sex young couples on a bus, and I do mean in most if not ALL corps.

Unfortunately I do remember a time when corps didnt accept other races , or at least it was odd for a few, and some of those few are still in finals today.

I do think our activity over the years has been in the front lines of tolerance and acceptance but also inclusion.

A tribute I think to our activity.

Of course like in everything even throughout our activity there's always a few AXX HXXXX .

• Like 1

i'm super confused, can someone explain what this law is and what it has to do with dci? O.o

Even if DCI's LGBT participation is ten times the national level, it still represents only about 20% of the activity's participants.

I think DCI understands all too well its fan base.

I'd guess at least half of DCI's fan base, if made aware of the new law, would disapprove of it.

• Like 1

I do think this may be a total different circumstance, although I get what you are saying. I can't speak for all ( maybe ) but your example is widely accepted through out the activity today ( thankfully ) It isn't odd to see this at all including same sex young couples on a bus, and I do mean in most if not ALL corps.

Unfortunately I do remember a time when corps didnt accept other races , or at least it was odd for a few, and some of those few are still in finals today.

I do think our activity over the years has been in the front lines of tolerance and acceptance but also inclusion.

A tribute I think to our activity.

Of course like in everything even throughout our activity there's always a few AXX HXXXX .

LOL it's the "maybe" that I'm wondering about, aka "devil is in the details".

Or perhaps it's not what IS written but what is NOT written.

IOW what the Hades does this actually change....

Frankly - I'm tired of any segment of the population telling me what I should believe, but ESPECIALLY that segment that screams from the rooftops about tolerance and equality - but only if you agree with them.

I couldn't care less about what anyone else believes or does as long as it doesn't threaten me. None of my business what 2 (or more :satisfied: ) consenting adults think or do, but neither do they have a right to tell me what I should think or do.

I don't think anyone is telling you WHAT to believe, only we should each respect the other and LET each other be who we are.

Respect and Tolerance

Edited by shawn craig
  • Like 3

I shouldn't be commenting, but I feel compelled. Please don't change your plans. This is a non-profit that didn't create this debate but certainly attracts affected citizens. Your support is much more important than your boycott. There are those in Indianapolis who don't support this either.

Quite. When Arizona passed SB 1070 in 2010, which effectively gave police the power to stop anyone of dark complexion on the suspicion of being an illegal immigrant, a national association of non-profit theaters was booked for a conference hosted by one of their members. Because cancelling the conference would have meant a serious hit to the finances of the Arizona member theater, the event went on, but the association sent a letter to the governor saying that their business would not return to the state while the law stood (and this was not the first time the event had been held in Arizona). This dubious Indiana law is rather less extreme, given that, as others have noted, similar laws are on the books federally and many other states, so punishing DCI for Indiana's bad actions seems even more unfair than in the Arizona case. Still, it could mean that, e.g., Indianapolis restaurant owners turn away gay customers*--and despite the musing of Prof. Laycock cited by garfield, this law obviously was passed to allow such discrimination, not because Indiana suddenly felt concerned about the Amish or Native Americans--and DCI should certainly voice discontent with that.

*Although in doing so, they'd probably run afoul of local non-discrimination laws which would then be challenged and fall before this new state law.

Hmmm... historical reference that relates to corps. American Legion moved it's New Orleans National Convention in the early 1960s (including the corps show) because of the segregation laws of LA. Yeah place took a hit from losing that one.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari

LOL it's the "maybe" that I'm wondering about, aka "devil is in the details".

Or perhaps it's not what IS written but what is NOT written.

IOW what the Hades does this actually change....

lol..the maybe was just that I think I would pretty safe saying that ALL drum corps support the diversity and it's not so taboo any longer , even in those corps who outsiders might think this doesn't apply.

Even if DCI's LGBT participation is 10-times the national level, it still represents only about 20% of the activity's participants.

I think DCI understands all too well its fan base.

HMMMM , i wouldn't be so sure about that percentage . wgi is also a major part of dCI today and many consider WGI championships the LGBT convention.and lets not forget the Bi sexual's today, more of that than you might think......lol. Even if your percent was correct, that's alot of people and then theres the other 60 or more percent who would support them. YES, you are right DCI and the marching arts, sport of the Arts know it's fan base.

I get what you are saying and also like my drum corp free of PC as well as politics BUT in todays world it is very hard to seperate the two. Maybe because of tolerance or lack of tolerance in a very few circumstances .

Edited by GUARDLING