Indiana's New Law

I don't think anyone is telling you WHAT to believe, only we should each respect the other and LET each other be who we are.

Respect and Tolerance

That's exactly what I am saying. The problem is that there is a subset of the population at large that preaches respect and tolerance - but ONLY if you agree with them.

• Like 3

Wow just had a flashback to reading about PAL Cadets of Bridgeport going south for a national contest and black members being refused service.

The way the law is written, if a corps goes into a business and staff sees two people of the same sex holding hands can staff throw those two out? Or can they legally post a sign saying "No .... allowed" because of this law? In PA people can be fired legally because of this (Pennsyltucky) so interested if I'm reading this right.

This could affect corps housing and other needs if a business can legally say "WIll not do business with....". We've been fixating on ticket sales but let's think of other things....

The last part is truely a concern. With so many corps to house, many will end up in smaller towns. Getting enough housing is alread a problem. This gives schools another reason to say no.

I'm not as concerned with the hotels and eateries in the downtown area; many of which are part of national chains and are used to a variety of customers and are more concerned with profits (not that it couldn't be happen). I think the small towns on the way to and from Indianoapolis would be more of a concern.

Edited by shawn craig

This isn't a comment about the law so much as it is a comment about one of the reasons I think drum corps is so unique. It brings together very diverse groups of people... and pretty much everybody gets along and tolerance is free flowing. All are focused on the goals and doing the work rather than the differences. How cool is that? (I think it's really cool.)

I looked up the law and for the guy who asked what it is, it means businesses can legally discriminate against, say, LGBT folks based on religious beliefs. I can totally understand why LGBT would be reticent to show up to Indy if they think they might be refused service in restaurants or hotels.

I think this is really a great conversation to have. The contribution that the LGBT community makes to drum corps is absolutely IMMEASURABLE and that should be a top consideration.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 3

The last part is truely a concern. With so many corps to house, many will end up in smaller towns. Getting enough housing is alread a problem. This gives schools another reason to say no.

I'm not as concerned with the hotels and eateries in the downtown area; many of which are part of national chains and are used to a variety of customers and are more concerned with profits (not that it couldn't be happen). I think the small towns on the way to and from Indianoapolis would be more of a concern.

NO IT DOES NOT.

Read the friggin' law before you spout conclusions.

Schools are GOVERNMENT entities.

• Like 3

NO IT DOES NOT.

Read the friggin' law before you spout conclusions.

Schools are GOVERNMENT entities.

Thanks for the clarification.

I looked up the law and for the guy who asked what it is, it means businesses can legally discriminate against, say, LGBT folks based on religious beliefs. I can totally understand why LGBT would be reticent to show up to Indy if they think they might be refused service in restaurants or hotels.

*non-opinion lawyer hat*

"Religious freedom restoration act. Provides that a state or local government action may not substantially burden a person's right to the exercise of religion unless it is demonstrated that applying the burden to the person's exercise of religion is: (1) essential to further a compelling governmental interest; and (2) the least restrictive means of furthering the compelling governmental interest. Provides that a person whose exercise of religion has been substantially burdened, or is likely to be substantially burdened, by a state or local government action may assert the burden as a claim or defense in a judicial proceeding, regardless of whether the state or a political subdivision of the state is a party to the judicial proceeding. Allows a person who asserts a burden as a claim or defense to obtain appropriate relief, including: (1) injunctive relief; (2) declaratory relief; (3) compensatory damages; and (4) recovery of court costs and reasonable attorney's fees."

AN interpretation of that law is that the state/local government will not intervene against an individual/business that performs a normally actionable offense if they perform said action/inaction due to religious motivations. how this relates to DCI is that some people worry that businesses will violate title2 (equal access) and claim they did so because of their religion.

there are many, many more qualified people who are interpreting and predicting the consequences of this act who you could turn to, I suggest doing research on your favorite and least favorite media sites...that way you get both sides of the story :)

• Like 2

I'm not in the "drop everything and gtfo out of indy" crowd, but perhaps maybe find a new venue when the contract is up? The new stadium for the Vikings in Minneapolis is supposed to be real nice when it opens.

But yeah, DCI may file a formal letter of complaint but I do not see them changing anything right away.

I would be very interested to see if this affects anyone during this summer - not all corps house or rehearse at public schools.

Edited by ML23

As to the speculation that the affected drum corps population could be as high as 20% ... regardless of whatever that percentile is, it would be an oversite to assume that their friends and loved ones within the community would not take a stance to support them as well.

The following not directed specifically at garfield:

The fact that we all know this law is directed at LGBT, (and those for and against it here discuss it as such), but turn to general paper-pusher talk to defend it sickens me. I cannot remember a time that I have been more ashamed to have been born, raised and still lived in Indiana. I can only take pride in the fact that my loved ones, mostly hoosiers, don't operate in this world like Mike Pence does.

• Like 3

I'm not in the "drop everything and gtfo out of indy" crowd, but perhaps maybe find a new venue when the contract is up? The new stadium for the Vikings in Minneapolis is supposed to be real nice when it opens.

But yeah, DCI may file a formal letter of complaint but I do not see them changing anything right away.

I would be very interested to see if this affects anyone during this summer - not all corps house or rehearse at public schools.

Maybe, except MN has on its books a benchmark case (Hershberger) in RFRA law.

As I posted earlier, any suggestion that DCI leave IN must also include a destination it can go where no such RFRA law exists.

Gonna be awfully hard in all but the handful of states that don't have RFRA laws on the books.

To do otherwise is to, in effect, suggest DCI itself fold its tent. Is that what's wanted? Is that a sufficient price to pay for discrimination that is only possible yet not demonstrated?

Question on the schools are Govt entities.... which Govt has authority? As I stated before it is legal to discriminate in PA based on LGBT lines.