Indiana's New Law

ok... to summarize for those that came in late to this thread discussion and don't want to read dozens of pages on this topic so far :

1) Indiana elected officials in the Indiana State Legislature recently passed a law thru the their legislative Chamber, sent it along to the State's duly elected Gov., who then signed the bill into law . The new law in Indiana pleases religious zealots, and displeases homosexual activists. It allows persons of Faith to have some leverage in not providing service if they believe such service violates their personal religious faith beliefs. Some see this as a genuine protection of their religious liberties, while others see this as nothing more than a cynical ploy to practice homosexual discrimination.

2) DCI chimed in and publically said in a press release in essence that they" support inclusion ", and will do everything they can to be certain their marchers feel as safe and secure at Championships in Indianapolis as they have ever been.

3) Some posters mentioned the inconsistencies with championing the elimination of sexual discrimination policies, while seeing no hypocrisy for themselves in allowing DCI Corps to continue to practice gender discrimination at will.

4) others pointed out that many of the religious of faith are " rednecks ".. or " are on the wrong side of history", etc while others likened Homosexual Civil Rights causes to that of the ending of Slavery, Emancipation, and the MLK Civil Rights Movement, etc.

5) The Executive Director of the Madison Scouts issued a press release today in which he reminded DCI fans that( among other things ) that the Madison Scouts have a long history of being color blind, are for tolerance, and supports inclusion, etc., and enjoy the hospitality of Indiana and its people.

6) Some posters demanded DCI drop Indy as a venue for Championships. Others then chimed in and said this won't happen.

7) Some posters said they would boycott DCI Championships this summer... another said he had already bought tickets, but won't be going. Others chimed in and said such tactics would only hurt DCI and the Marchers. Others responded, they don't much care about that, as they are personally offended by what Indiana passed into law for themselves there.

I might have missed some other important things.. others can add... can't list them all, as its now dozens of pages long, including Court case history cites to bolster ones positions on any number of angles on this issue in which religious liberties run up against sexual orientation liberties.

Edited by BRASSO

Thanks BRASSO! I really didn't want to read 26 pages of hyperbole and rhetoric. Saved me a lot of time.

My question: Are we going to demand DCI to move every time a disagreeable law is passed? Every time a human rights violation occurs? Every time someone's delicate sensibilities are offended?

One could find human rights violations in nearly every state. For example, we would have to rule out Missouri because of the Ferguson fiasco. What about child labor being used in tobacco states? Do we rule out Pennsylvania due to Kermit Gosnell's mutilation of women and children? Nevada for prostitution? Where does it end?

DCI isn't responsible for Indiana's law. Don't hold them accountable for it. Write the legislators and the governor.

• Like 3

One of the most disappointing things about this thread is that it has made me more aware of the thoughts of other posters, and perhaps naively so, I had little clue just exactly how such a diverse activity still had participants who were so not in tune with what DCI has become (though they make attempts to rationalize opinions). DCI has come a long way. There is quite a journey to go.

I've been lurking on this thread (I've been lurking on DCP since the end of the season really), and I've learn A LOT about a bunch of "regular posters" that continue to lower my opinion of them. This thread has really just cemented that lower opinion for me ( which is why I've almost stopped posting).

This law has an obvious effect on DCI and the marching arts groups. DCI has a much higher proportion of LGBT people than society at large. I'm glad this law is being discussed, but I really think DCI's hands are tied. They would need to plan long term for a switch to another location if that is what they would choose to do.

Edited by JohnZ
unnecessary comment removed
  • Like 3

probably has something to do with none of us being online...until NOW!!!

Please - HERE'S THE DEAL, FOLKS:

We are always obligated to follow the Community Guidelines, but from time to time a current event, religious and/or political topic do rises to a level of importance and impact that we should and do allow some leniency - we and the owner of the site believe this is one of those situations.

^^ As long as the discussion remains civil and on point, this thread will remain open

**No other spinoff threads will be permitted..talk about this topic here.

**At some point, we will close this thread once the fire burns down and everyone has had a chance to have their say.

**I need to pour a stiff drink and start reading from the beginning, but ANY posts that are not civil or are relevant will be removed, and I'll deal with the offending posts/posters appropriately.

**I already have to deal with some questionable messaging between several people here - please read the Guidelines. inappropriate or harassing messaging is verboten too, capische?

**PLEASE do your part to keep on topic, and report any questionable contributions to the moderating team.

Keeping the thread going is all up to you. Thanks for your help to do that.

z

Time to remind everyone that the opportunity to discuss this topic is VERY narrow and limited. It is starting to drift away from relevance to the activity, and people are getting chippy. this is not the place to debate constitutional law or the derogatory intent behind labels.

Please help keep it on topic or we'll either be voting some folks off the island to try to help keep it going, or it will simply be closed. Once this one closes we won't be permitting follow up threads.

I'm really appreciating the respectful discussion and reading all of your perspectives, and personally would hate to have to end.it.

thanks again.

z

This is an interesting summary of the current state of America. Much division amongst the population. The group that screams the loudest gets the most attention. There is intolerance and hatred in all groups. Groups are more focused on their agenda than the greater cause. In a perfect world, you hope that all people accept each other for what they are; however, you can't mandate that the masses accept something that they don't believe in their hearts. Peace and happiness

Nice summary Brasso

To those who are essentially suggesting to people in groups who aren't in the majority to essentially "deal with it", I humbly suggest you read some history and political philosophy. In what way does it seem right or make sense that those who are numeric minorities shouldn't have a voice in a democracy? John Stuart Mills' thoughts on the Tyranny of the Majority in his classic essay on liberty is a nice start IMHO:

http://www.serendipity.li/jsmill/jsmill.htm

IMO, DCI's response was tepid and political.

IMO Madison's response was clear, appropriate and corageous.

Kudos to the mods for keeping this thread open and kudos to contributors to largely keeping the conversation civil.

Edited by ecamburn
  • Like 1

Nice summary Brasso

Yes, it seems he did a Reader's Digest issue justice, but, as the Sun comes up across the world today, there will be those who reply that he used his words to put his thoughts on the table.

Kudos to the mods for keeping this thread open and kudos to contributors to largely keeping the conversation civil.

And kudos to all the kids who are in camp this weekend preparing what should be a great summer of entertainment for all of us, despite our differences.

• Like 1

Thanks Lincoln will have to try it out.

Thanks Brasso for the Readers Digest version but see one thing that sticks out. I know there are people out there who call themselves gay activists but I don't consider myself one. I just want to be able to go into a business with a gay friend(s) and not have them thrown out legally while I am still welcome. Think that might describe more DCI fans than activists.