Inside the Arc - "The Gods Must Be Crazy"

Big G: Behold, you are all my peeps. Now go forth and get along with each other.

Crazy G 1: But they are all different. You can’t expect that

Big G: Actually, I can. I Am Who Am, after all. Besides, they are all the same, in essence. They’ll figure it out.

Crazy G 2: […]

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2015/03/inside-the-arc-the-gods-must-be-crazy/

Big G: Behold, you are all my peeps. No go forth and get along with each other.

Crazy G 1: But they are all different. You cant expect that

Big G: Actually, I can. I Am Who Am, after all. Besides, they are all the same, in essence. Theyll figure it out.

Crazy G 2: []

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/2015/03/inside-the-arc-the-gods-must-be-crazy/

Wuh? 😳

Big G: Behold, you are all my peeps. No go forth and get along with each other.

Crazy G 1: But they are all different. You can’t expect that

Big G: Actually, I can. I Am Who Am, after all. Besides, they are all the same, in essence. They’ll figure it out.

Crazy G 2: […]

Authored by Frank Dorritie, no less.

A fellow L.I.er like Frank D. and one who has taught with him over the years and received a big hug from him the last time we met, I was disappointed.

Here I thought by the title that he was showcasing a new piece of music by P. L-C. or Eric Whitacre or himself, not editorializing on the DCP threads for the past week! :-)

Think I talked to Frank too many times as was thinking "I am Spartacus" in another way......

In this case it was having all corps members go in a business in pairs holding hands.

But was thinking of the other movie with the Coke bottle and click-clink language.....

Interesting reactions to an interesting post.

I haven't been reading many of the threads on DCP - I've aged out of most of them - so I don't know if this is topical or relative to something on these forums.

I don't know what triggered this one - I can imagine any number of catalysts.

I also believe that it has become difficult to write or even talk about discrimination in our society as a whole and our activity as a microcosm. I've given up trying to do it for any number of reasons, not because I don't think it's an important, even critical subject, but because I don't want to initiate a crap slinging contest (not that those happen on DCP - we left all of that on RAMD, right?)

But I'm glad that someone of Frank's stature and eloquence tackles the issue - it's sad that it still needs tackling in the 21st Century, but it does.

Makes me feel a little sad with next week being the memorial service for one of the activity's great men, who, sort of like Bill Russell, was bigger than the race issue that he lived with on a daily basis.

I once chided Gene (Bennett II) about working with a group that had denied membership to African Americans in the 60s, his heyday as a marching participant.

It wasn't really my place but I naively said "Gene, they wouldn't have let you march there - why would you work with them now?"

His response, "Fallon, if I avoided everyone that's ever ###### me off I'd have no one to talk to."

Some folks just rise about this issue, in my opinion the original sin of the original colonies and later our great country - they just get it, and won't let bitterness keep them from greatness.

But what a shame that this level of magnanimity was, and is still necessary for some to succeed.

The term "Why can't we all just get along?" has been turned into a (bad) comic one-liner.

As to whether the framers intended sellers of ice cream cones to make them available to all, maybe they didn't, and maybe you can't legislate it, but if that's the only way we can have ice cream cones (or whatever it is that's being kept from some of us), I'll pass. I don't need the calories

At any rate, as I often do, I find myself being proud (or maybe envious?) of Frank's ability to craft a message and his courage in going where it needs to be said, but probably won't reap many rewards for him.

I've long since given up on Peace on Earth, or even much hope of one nation under God, (or pretty much anyone else), but I hope the flame never burns out - the voice telling us how much better we could be if we had the will.

"Besides, they're all the same, in essence. They'll figure it out." Or not...

But in the meantime, Thanks, Frank...

They don't have to like it, but it never hurts to hear (or read) it.

• Like 2