Anyone got a review of Bucs Spring Preview?

Second year I had to miss the show, but I'm curious to hear from people that were in the audience. How were the Bucs and Sky? Good to hear that Sky is going Open Class this year. How about Bucs Alumni and the other Alumni Corps?

I can only speak for Skyliners, and my view was from the podium so there is some bias involved.

But I will say that we as a corps were very happy with our performance. We performed all but a few measures of our 2015 show, "Whatever Lola Wants." We were missing about a dozen or so performers due to Band Trips and Senior Proms, so for whomever was there and had a count of our brass numbers, add about 10-11 and that's where we are (currently numbering around 40).

We were very happy to be there and thank Bill Powers and the Indoor Preview team for inviting us down to Twin Valley for the day.

• Like 1

I was also not in attendance. Did speak with several people who were.

Adam should be pleased. Everyone told me Sky is bigger, stronger, new uniforms, etc. All said similar positives about Fusion. Although I bring some bias, too, it was reported the competing Reading Buccaneers were VERY strong, probably more so than last year. I was particularly pleased to hear Reading's music book was a KNOCK-OUT. Familiar tunes, tons of big chords, power, etc. Every section full, etc. The Buccaneer Alumni was a little smaller than last year, played previous year's stuff quite well, but struggled with one new number (as anticipated). Small drumline for the Alumni.

That's the best I can do this early!

I was sidestage for the event... as the show's emcee... so I didn't get to see any of the corps from a "full on" perspective.

Skyliners and Buccaneers competition corps had their horn lines on the floor... so I didn't hear much from the brass. It did seem the Bucs' competition corps had fewer brass players on the floor this year than in some years past... I have no idea for sure if that was actually the case or not. Still a very good-sized line.

I'm not a drummer... but after all these years I do have a semi-reasonable idea of what sounds good or not. LOL. And from my sidestage perspective, the Bucs' competition corps' battery was insanely good. Quite possibly the best I've ever heard from them at this point in the year.

Sky's battery is very young... but they were doing a solid job, especially the bass drummers. Definitely a step up from last season.

And like others have said... Sky's new uniforms are a stone winner. Clean and sharp. I would think this should help them from a visual standpoint.

I do know that a lot of folks in the audience... and not just Buccaneer alums or Buccaneer supporters.. were raving about the Bucs competition corps' show. And I heard a lot of good comments about Sky.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

And like others have said... Sky's new uniforms are a stone winner. Clean and sharp. I would think this should help them from a visual standpoint.

Just found the new look on FB and I agree.

Great to have this legendary corps back.

Edited by gsksun4
  • Like 1