RADICAL IDEA. Discuss.

Sorry Liz ... I'm with Grumpy here ... even when the Barnum entices local bands to "watch" the show with free tickets, their teen hormones take over and it more resembles a bus ride than a group of future players ... the only bands I've seen respecting what's on the field is those that sit together "in uniform" with their adviser/parent/director sitting there with them ...

:-)

I don't doubt that there are examples of any type of behavior you can think of. I've seen the supposed adults exhibit terrible show etiquette, and I've seen band kids who were VERY well-behaved...and everywhere in between.

One DCI show was the show held at West Chester in conjunction with the Vivace Marching band/Drum Major Academy. 80% of the fully packed stands were made up of the band kids attending the camp, yet the show "buzz" was no worse than any other show. Most of the kids were very well behaved.

• Like 2

Allentown... that expanded track at the stadium is not in DCA's favor, IMO. Puts the corps too far away from the audience. Not a good thing for the DCA product, which... again IMO.... needs that "up close" feel.

Plus... absolutely nowhere to go if/when it rains in Allentown. An ancient stadium.

And... downtown Allentown is not exactly Chamber of Commerce territory. LOL.

well more and more of downtown is getting destroyed as they kep trying to revitalize down by the arena. if you read the plans and know what's where down there, it's amazing to see what might not exist in a few years

Hmmm ... then maybe they should sit in the stands "in uniform" with their parole officers there to supervise them ...

the two times I was there, some had parts of their uniform on...as it was before or after they performed themselves

I don't doubt that there are examples of any type of behavior you can think of. I've seen the supposed adults exhibit terrible show etiquette, and I've seen band kids who were VERY well-behaved...and everywhere in between.

One DCI show was the show held at West Chester in conjunction with the Vivace Marching band/Drum Major Academy. 80% of the fully packed stands were made up of the band kids attending the camp, yet the show "buzz" was no worse than any other show. Most of the kids were very well behaved.

A much more serious group of kids at those camps, way more serious than the average band kid. Did a counseling stint in college BITD with them, was very rewarding and the kids were great. They take the activity far more seriously.

• Like 1

the two times I was there, some had parts of their uniform on...as it was before or after they performed themselves

HAHA ... I was talking about the convicts at the "correctional" facility across the street from Kennedy ...

• Like 1

well more and more of downtown is getting destroyed as they kep trying to revitalize down by the arena. if you read the plans and know what's where down there, it's amazing to see what might not exist in a few years

Hopefully for the better.

I've been to the Barnum Festival and I have to tell you Andy, I find the kids better behaved than many of the adults in the audience.

at several shows

• Like 1

The problem we have with recruiting high school and college age members is that they can't go to DCA Championships without making a choice of band camps, classes or going to DCA. In my experience with local band teachers/directors, about 40% of them don't want anything to do with drum corps but most are receptive or sympathetic to our cause. Instead of offering a discount to students, why not offer one to educators? I know they are very busy that time of year but I'm sure some would take advantage of it. Perhaps many of the local teachers would be willing to bring students who show an interest to the championships just to check it out, and if the championships were rotated between 3-4 cities/areas, there would be a greater exposure to the local MB community. We're willing to travel where ever the championships are held but when Labor Day falls late it's difficult to depend on a certain number of members going.

With the small amount of corps in both DCI and DCA ....why not have Open Class prelims Tuesday, World Class Prelims Wednesday, All Age Prelims Friday. Then Open Class/All Age Finals Friday night and World Class Finals Saturday night. More spectators and more money. You don't need Quarter or Semi Finals because what corps really change place.

With the small amount of corps in both DCI and DCA ....why not have Open Class prelims Tuesday, World Class Prelims Wednesday, All Age Prelims Friday. Then Open Class/All Age Finals Friday night and World Class Finals Saturday night. More spectators and more money. You don't need Quarter or Semi Finals because what corps really change place.

Three reasons:

1. DCI wants the focus to be on DCI corps. There's a lot going on that week without adding another division to it. DCI Open Class prelims and finals are already held in Michigan City, IN on Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is I&I and the Hall of Fame induction. Thursday is when the performances start in Indianapolis (quarterfinals). The DCI corps really like the quarters/semis/finals performance schedule. Most DCI World Class corps don't even arrive in Indianapolis until Tuesday anyway.

2. You're asking DCA corps to travel on Thursday and perform on Friday...on a normal, non-holiday work week. That's a non-starter.

3. You're shortening the DCA season by several weeks. What happens to those show sponsors? (And while you could make the argument that those shows can still go on, you won't have the greatest performances by the corps because there's nothing to get better for.)

Edited by Kamarag