The Shows You're Most Excited to See in 2015

2015 Show Anticipation  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What shows are you highly anticipating in the 2015 Drum Corps season?

• Blue Devils - Ink
    • Bluecoats - Kinetic Noise
    • The Cadets - The Power of Ten
    • Santa Clara Vanguard - The Spark of Invention
    • Carolina Crown - Inferno
    • The Cavaliers - Game On
    • Phantom Regiment - City of Light
    • Blue Knights - Because
    • Blue Stars - Side Show
    • Boston Crusaders - Conquest
    • Madison Scouts - 78th and Madison
    • Crossmen - Above and Beyond
    • Colts - ...And A Shot Rings Out: A Johnny Staccato Murder Mystery
    • Troopers - Wild Horses
    • The Academy - Unannounced
    • Spirit of Atlanta - Out of the Ashes
    • Oregon Crusaders - The Midnight Garden
    • Pacific Crest - The Catalyst
    • Mandarins - Ressurection
    • Jersey Surf - Sun Surfing
    • Seattle Cascades - Intergalactic
    • Pioneer - Exodus: Divide the Sea, Unite the People

Ok this is my problem.

Cadets have put out this "periscope" cam so that we can see their rehearsals. So with their "theme" and the choice of music, along with the opener that I've seen (even in the state of existence that it's currently in), this is what I have to say about it.

This looks really nice so far. Difficult program and it's clear the corps is working hard to come out of the gates strongly. I'm just wondering how the show designers think a show like this can still win, when Side x Side could not, and this show, from an artistic standpoint, doesn't look like it will compare to even that.
The opener seems to drag on and on without any real point to it. No clear concept of what the show is about, except for what the title says. Does not convey a concrete message or story. Although this is music and marching in its purist form, unfortunately music and marching at a very high level isn't good enough anymore.
I'm disappointed that the Cadets' staff has not yet seemed to have learned that a winning program is done by artistic design, and perfecting the music and marching part is just incidental. This would have been a killer show 15+ years ago, but now I fear it may only be 3rd or 4th, despite all of the obvious hard work the corps has done so far. Sorry to be a Debby Downer, but I can't contain my disappointment, because I'd really like to see Cadets win another title, or even put something innovative on the field again. I haven't seen real innovation from this corps since 2005.
We don't judge movies nowadays based on how good the acting is. They're judged on what the movie is about, and how well the movie's message gets across. The acting part just helps that ultimate goal come into focus.
Has the idea well really run that dry that they feel the need to do work from a composer that has been featured in the average of at least one World Class / Div I corps program per year for the past 30 years?
So no, I'm not very excited to see The Cadets. There are too many corps experimenting with some new ideas, namely the corps that surround them, among others, and it would not surprise me if The Cadets lose their medal...however, I do think they will keep it because the demand will be there, and it will be very clean come Finals.

I don't think a show has to have a deep message or story line to be successful (unless your only definition of success is winning every year). In recent years, see Bluecoats last year and 2010, Cadets in 2013 and 2011 I'd argue weren't super complex. Crown 2012.

First of all, I bet there's still a lot to be put into place with this show concerning the theme, so I guess we'll see on that. It's (was) May and they're giving us a lot, I'll wait on ANY conclusions that I draw concerning them being destined to lose their medal and not have a remote chance at winning. I really think we're jumping the gun saying stuff like that. They're going to challenge for percussion, could definitely see them challenge for brass, and will be towards the top in guard. The visual program will be extremely strong. They will clean the crap out of it. Effect wise, I think Musically it will be a top 2 - 3 show. Visually as well. Honestly I'd be surprised if at some point in the season they weren't on top or challenging. They're going to be a monster corps that will polish the hell out of a show like they have done the past few seasons.

Concerning the show, I think the opener is full of all sorts of stuff, specifically in the drill. To me it looks like it's going to be another Sacktig masterpiece like 2011 where the drill and visual program is the primary source of thematic presentation that is supplemented by the musical selections. I can see in the opener there are all sorts of groupings of 5s, 10s, 15s, ect. going on all over the place. Without purpose? I don't think so, personally of course. It does start to feel a bit long towards the end, but I wouldn't say that it drags on without purpose. The ballad sounds really cool with the WGI esque approach to staging and the music. That doesn't sound like something a 1990s drum corps would do. We'll see on the rest of the show when everything is in place in AUGUST, but I'm not getting it's just aimless marching and playing without any kind of purpose as fast as possible. Until I see a high cam show, later in the season, I'm not gonna make any bets.

Now you could be right and I'll look like an idiot in August, and I'm certainly not trying to convince you of anything, but it's early. I think they're going to be too good to not medal, and if the show has just enough substance with a simple theme it could win. We'll see. I say give it some time. I'm certainly not drawing any conclusions on shaky webcasts from a corps spring training in May. But I do like what I see so far.

Edited by DrumManTx

Yeah, this is the second time you have referred to this ballad thing. If it is what I have heard, not so sure that I would be that optimistic about the "trick" for the ballad.

Wait, what have you heard? Unless it's super secret, and then, ya know, whatever.

This looks really nice so far. Difficult program and it's clear the corps is working hard to come out of the gates strongly. I'm just wondering how the show designers think a show like this can still win, when Side x Side could not, and this show, from an artistic standpoint, doesn't look like it will compare to even that.

The opener seems to drag on and on without any real point to it. No clear concept of what the show is about, except for what the title says. Does not convey a concrete message or story. Although this is music and marching in its purist form, unfortunately music and marching at a very high level isn't good enough anymore.

The same things that held Side x Side back could happen for Power of 10, but I'm more optimistic about this concept getting across.

As for the opener, I think it does does everything but drag. I'm ok with having a pure music+movement part of the show with very little theme presented, and think the judges will too. After seeing the ballad and how the canvas changes, I'm pretty confident the remainder of the show will get the concept across just fine.

I'm disappointed that the Cadets' staff has not yet seemed to have learned that a winning program is done by artistic design, and perfecting the music and marching part is just incidental. This would have been a killer show 15+ years ago, but now I fear it may only be 3rd or 4th, despite all of the obvious hard work the corps has done so far. Sorry to be a Debby Downer, but I can't contain my disappointment, because I'd really like to see Cadets win another title, or even put something innovative on the field again. I haven't seen real innovation from this corps since 2005.

You raise a lot of good points and might be right about this year.

Even if they haven't been innovative since 2005 (which is arguable), however, they've done a pretty #### good job of improving on other people's innovations. Before 2011, a few drum corps/marching bands/WGI units did the two-tone uniform thing with mixed results. I can't imagine the extra hours of lost sleep the drill writers had to deal with.

Then here comes the Cadets. Not only did they combine two-tone uniforms with a simple concept, they added characterization as well. Sacktig's drill made it look so easy, too. Definitely one of my all-time favorite shows.

I'm not even a Cadets fan most of the time. Many of their shows have at least one "eye-roll" moment for me, but even for all the missteps, they still have an elite design staff that can come up with something great. Maybe not as consistently as Downey, Chandler and Company, but they generally know what works.

We don't judge movies nowadays based on how good the acting is. They're judged on what the movie is about, and how well the movie's message gets across. The acting part just helps that ultimate goal come into focus.

It depends on the movie. I don't judge Daniel Day Lewis movies with the same standards as Jackie Chan movies.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

1) Cadets: Always been a favorite of mine and like Tekk said, they are out for blood. Given the track record from the last 5 or so years......2010 - somewhat cheesy, 2011 - words can't describe, 2012 - cheesy, 2013 - awesome show that I felt lacked respect, 2014 - need I say anything about that travesty/debacle, 2015 - caged rabid animal!

2) SCV: Another favorite of mine. I pray that one day they'll once again be the ones that used to put fear in other corps. From the 90's until around 2002 or so, they were some BAD mammajamma's and you could look at other corps and feel balloon knot tightening.

3) BD: Least favorite corps in DCI but they still put on awesome shows. Their musical and visual execution is second to none. Given the repertoire, I think that they are going to be a powerhouse as usual.

4) Crown: Undoubtedly the cleanest brass in DCI, they'll deliver. No doubt.

5) Cavies: Would love to see them get back to where they once were and they are doing it year by year. I can't wait to see them and what they have in store for the judges.

Since the beginning of time, you already knew which corps would be top 3 before everyday's even started and that includes the days before technology allowed us to get previews of what to expect during the off season. I hope that one day it will be fair game to where anyone can win and not just the same corps every year. Unfortunately I don't think that will happen in my lifetime given the direction that DCI has gone and the unexplainable politics that continue to rule the field. I am beyond excited to see what Cadets and SCV will do because I am biased but overall I'm rooting for the underdog (the ones that were beasts that have been tamed).

Edited by blakman7
  • Like 1

Looking forward to:

Colts- what an improvement a year ago, can't wait to see these guys this summer

Blue Stars- anyone thinking they're not right back in the thick of it this summer. Looking foward to see where they'll take this theme.

Madison/Boston- my gut says one of these corps could be in for a heart breaking season, but then watch them both be single digit hunting. Wild cards both, should be fun to watch

Blue Knights- Music is gonna be killer! Deepest corps they've had... Yes! JC Caseras (sorry spelling) is maybe the best rising star drill writer in the business.

Crown- doing evil? Hellz yea what's not to love..

Bluecoats coming off top 2 finish, you bet I'm excited to see them.

Cadets are hands down who I'm most excited to see- great literature and they sound so good!!

• Like 2

OK, this is my problem.

[...]

No clear concept of what the show is about, except for what the title says. Does not convey a concrete message or story. Although this is music and marching in its purist form, unfortunately music and marching at a very high level isn't good enough anymore.

I'm disappointed that the Cadets' staff has not yet seemed to have learned that a winning program is done by artistic design, and perfecting the music and marching part is just incidental. This would have been a killer show 15+ years ago, but now I fear it may only be 3rd or 4th, despite all of the obvious hard work the corps has done so far.
[...]

Drum corps is not literature or cinema. A "concrete message or story" isn't very important, in my opinion, and last year's results would suggest the judges agree with me. Cadets had a much more concrete message than either Blue Devils or Bluecoats, while SCV and especially Crown had far more coherent stories.

Drum corps is not literature or cinema. A "concrete message or story" isn't very important, in my opinion, and last year's results would suggest the judges agree with me. Cadets had a much more concrete message than either Blue Devils or Bluecoats, while SCV and especially Crown had far more coherent stories.

I vehemently disagree.

Drum Corps IS cinema - at least that's where it has been trending (started with Cadets 2005, made apparent with Phantom 2008) - and the BD are spurring that trend - with obviously strong results.

Drum Corps is becoming more like drama, a Broadway act. The Blue Devils put on quite a show last season - not only were they good, but the show idea was the best one in the field, given how they conveyed it.

The Cadets didn't have a story - the most I got from it was "these are past Presidents and things they said - and here's some patriotic music to go along with it."

SCV told musical story already written. Pretty concrete, familiar.

Crown? Here is a show about....space? An astronaut? Here are some trampolines, mufflers, and frisbees. Didn't really get it.

Bluecoats' show was pretty simple and solid. "Here are ramps. We're going to do cool things with them, stuff you've never seen before on a football field, and play some awesome edgy music. We tilted the field, and added fluorescent orange. Enjoy."

As good as the Blue Devils were last season, I still think Cadets 2005 was the best drum corps show ever written. Cavaliers 2002 would be next, and BD 2014 after that.

I want to see The Cadets get back to being gutsy, and although corps are allowed to have off-years, they've only put out one incredible show since 2005, and that was 2011. (2013 music was incredible.)

This year doesn't look to be any different. Not saying their shows haven't been good, but haven't been 97.5+ points good.

• Like 1

I vehemently disagree.

Drum Corps IS cinema - at least that's where it has been trending (started with Cadets 2005, made apparent with Phantom 2008) - and the BD are spurring that trend - with obviously strong results.

Drum Corps is becoming more like drama, a Broadway act. The Blue Devils put on quite a show last season - not only were they good, but the show idea was the best one in the field, given how they conveyed it.

The Cadets didn't have a story - the most I got from it was "these are past Presidents and things they said - and here's some patriotic music to go along with it."

Crown? Here is a show about....space? An astronaut? Here are some trampolines, mufflers, and frisbees. Didn't really get it.

Bluecoats' show was pretty simple and solid. "Here are ramps. We're going to do cool things with them, stuff you've never seen before on a football field, and play some awesome edgy music. We tilted the field, and added fluorescent orange. Enjoy."

As good as the Blue Devils were last season, I still think Cadets 2005 was the best drum corps show ever written. Cavaliers 2002 would be next, and BD 2014 after that.

I want to see The Cadets get back to being gutsy, and although corps are allowed to have off-years, they've only put out one incredible show since 2005, and that was 2011. (2013 music was incredible.)

This year doesn't look to be any different. Not saying their shows haven't been good, but haven't been 97.5+ points good.

Blue Devils did not have a story in 2014. They took a theme to a deep level as they always do, but there was no storyline in the show.

As for Crown, they had narration in the show just to tell you the story. If you didn't get it even after that, then only the Lord knows how to explain it to you.

I agree with you on SCV, Cadets, and Bloo though (where only SCV had a story out of those 3 corps).

Having a story is highly unnecessary in drum corps. However, whatever theme that is chosen must be taken to as deep of a level as possible in order to completely satisfy the GE judges. That is why Bluecoats had such a successful year. Yes, they had strong music captions, but they also received the GE points that seems to always stray from them because of the depth with which they took "Tilt."

The Blue Devils don't tell stories. I think the only show that they've recently done that has told a story was 2013 and that was one year in which they didn't win!

So no, a story is unnecessary and drum corps is not cinema. It's broader than that, it's art. There's no need to limit DCI to "cinema"

I can't wait to see what the Bluecoats have up their sleeve! The end of the closer last year took a synthesizer and made it work in the most bizarre and awesome way with the hornline.

I have never been a fan of outlandish props or electronics (or voiceovers) on the field, but it is that way now, and will continue to be. If it is executed right, it makes for a heck of a show.

I vehemently disagree.

You may think you disagree, but almost everything you say supports my point: in 2014, two non-story shows beat four story shows.

• Like 1