The crowd that attends finals question.

I wonder how many people in attendance at finals aren't knowledgeable about a corps show seeing the corps production the first time during the season....I mean that they haven't watched any videos or heard any part of the corps all summer long, not even knowing the title of it at all.

I would image most of those who attend finals have at least seen a video or music.....what do you think? percentage wise anyway.

• Like 1

I wonder how many people in attendance at finals aren't knowledgeable about a corps show seeing the corps production the first time during the season....I mean that they haven't watched any videos or heard any part of the corps all summer long, not even knowing the title of it at all.

I would image most of those who attend finals have at least seen a video or music.....what do you think? percentage wise anyway.

Just a hunch, but I'd bet most in attendance checked out the shows before spending all the money needed to get there. Maybe some locals who can drive there just go without looking but I'd bet they are the exception, not the rule.

What's the reason for your question? I would assume there's a very high percentage of folks that are very knowledgeable. My guess would be something north of 80-90%. A high percentage such as this represents both a positive and a challenge for DCI. One of the benefits of having championships at Indy each year - in addition to a central location for many corps, indoor stadium, etc., is to cultivate regional attendance growth for the event. In 2013, DCI offered greatly reduced ticket prices to those living in Indianapolis. As a result, attendance for the 2013 finals was the largest at LOS to date. So, one of the challenges DCI must continue to meet head on is to market the heck out of championships week and continue to bring new fans to the event.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Well how much knowledge are we talking about? Knowledge about every single corps show... definetly not many...

Knowledge of atleast the title of a production or music used in "A" performance... definetly most.

People who have already seen atleast 1 corps show live or through video... I'd say most aswell but not as many as those with 'some knowledge'.

This is definetly statistically accurate.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

I'd say probably at least 25% of the Finals audience are parents, family and friends of the marchers, alumni, and volunteers. Another 50% are hardcorps fans. 23% are casual fans and 2% are people who are people might enjoy music and the arts, heard about it, happen to have the extra money and time, and wanted to check it out. 90% of those might live locally., within an hour or two drive.

Just a guess.

I wonder if there is actual survey statistics regarding this. I'd love to see it.

What's the reason for your question? I would assume there's a very high percentage of folks that are very knowledgeable. My guess would be something north of 80-90%. A high percentage such as this represents both a positive and a challenge for DCI. One of the benefits of having championships at Indy each year - in addition to a central location for many corps, indoor stadium, etc., is to cultivate regional attendance growth for the event. In 2013, DCI offered greatly reduced ticket prices to those living in Indianapolis. As a result, attendance for the 2013 finals was the largest at LOS to date. So, one of the challenges DCI must continue to meet head on is to market the heck out of championships week and continue to bring new fans to the event.

No reason really, I was just wondering

I think this might be closer to 80%... There's just so many family members and friends out there who just come to see the final show of their kid/friend for the first time. My aunt and uncle came to see me for the first time on Finals night... they loved the experience mostly because I was there and they appreciated all the corps (especially 2005 Crown... you made Aunt Kathy cry, yo!), but have not been to a show since. It's just not on their radar.

My guess would be something north of 80-90%.

A few years ago I went into a store in downtown Indy and a woman at the store told me that her husband and son attended semi's every year. The ticket price was reasonable and got to see a variety of shows. The two weren't musical but just loved attending and decided to go one year after seeing a news feature. Semi's seems to be when school groups attend as well. My thought is that semi's may be when you get most of the first time people or those who just go out of curiosity.

• Like 1

Based on my own personal observations of Finals over the decades I have been attending, I always felt that weekend attracted a high percentage of knowledgeable and up-to-date drum corps fans. Lots of band directors and other music educators, artists, dancers, former marching members, designers, composers, arrangers, and on and on. I'd say most of them have a solid knowledge of how the corps have been doing, shows, scores, etc. I'd say most have at least seen 1 show prior (maybe 70%), and most have at least heard or seen an audio or video clip (90%). I would imagine most have heard about repertoire and competitive results from a friend going into that weekend (nearly 100%).

I have no knowledge whatsoever on this but by logic, I think most people would have knowledge of some of the corps' shows. Would you buy a ticket to a concert for a band having never listened to any of their music?