2016 Prediction Thread

I'm new to this thread so perhaps this is a bit late: BD's show title is a big turn off. There, I too can end a phrase with a preposition.

On the other hand, BD knows how to pull a rabbit out if its sleeve and likely has one there. Should be interesting...

Really? You're more proficient at the English language than Shakespeare?

• Like 2

I know one corps behind them that will improve drastically from last year....

Yeah but we are a bit far back from last year.

I'm new to this thread so perhaps this is a bit late: BD's show title is a big turn off. There, I too can end a phrase with a preposition.

As was recently noted, ending a phrase with a preposition is not a grammatical error. Only bad English teachers claim it is. The kind who also don't know their Shakespeare.

For as Kamarag notes, Blue Devils' title comes from Prospero's great speech in the final scene of The Tempest:

"Our revels now are ended. These our actors,

As I foretold you, were all spirits and

Are melted into air, into thin air:

And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,

The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,

The solemn temples, the great globe itself,

Ye all which it inherit, shall dissolve

And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,

Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff

As dreams are made on, and our little life

Is rounded with a sleep."

nm.............

Edited by BRASSO

Really? You're more proficient at the English language than Shakespeare?

The complaints about BD's show title are about as silly as the complaints about Cadets' originally calling their show Stoned. I honestly don't understand the huge fuss

• Like 2

The complaints about BD's show title are about as silly as the complaints about Cadets' originally calling their show Stoned. I honestly don't understand the huge fuss

And Cadets maybe going back to STONED. Selling tons of Tshirts and it's as descriptive as the other name for the show.

And Cadets maybe going back to STONED. Selling tons of Tshirts and it's as descriptive as the other name for the show.

Um, incorrect complaints about "grammar" aren't exactly the same as complaints about a show name with obvious drug-related double entendre. It isn't "cute" or "clever" or "funny" - it's just stupid and inappropriate.

Grammar is NOT a moral equivalent. There's a reason it was changed, and it won't be changing back.

JMO

• Like 2

On the other hand, BD knows how to pull a rabbit out if its sleeve and likely has one there. Should be interesting...

I don't believe the phrase ended with a preposition. The "phrase' is part of a longer phrase, if you read the entire passage.

Um, incorrect complaints about "grammar" aren't exactly the same as complaints about a show name with obvious drug-related double entendre. It isn't "cute" or "clever" or "funny" - it's just stupid and inappropriate.

Grammar is NOT a moral equivalent. There's a reason it was changed, and it won't be changing back.

JMO

It's "stupid and inappropriate" because your mind thinks of it in that way. Luckily for you, there were many others whose minds couldn't control themselves and so Hopkins had to change the name. Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1

It's "stupid and inappropriate" because your mind thinks of it in that way. Luckily for you, there were many others whose minds couldn't control themselves and so Hopkins had to change the name.

I realize it is a matter of opinion. Just because my opinion is different than yours doesn't really mean "I can't control my mind" lol