2016 Prediction Thread

Neither of those corps are on the East coast...

I believe jmc is a grandson of Tony S. who had a history of controlling how the East coast corps placed in the VFW Nationals. His "wishful" picks of no Boston and Crown and Cadets way down is a means of honoring Tony's legacy.

Seems plausible but not sure I would have BK in 6.

Why? I don't understand why people say they have to be a top 5 group. I could see them in 7th. I'm no Madison honk and didn't like last year's show but it was a step up so what's saying they can't get 6th? Phantom went back and forth with BK what says they can't be 6th? Cavies were once a dominant force what says they can't be 6th. BK could easily get 8th or 9th. Once they start moving and playing as much as the top 5 I will put them up there but for now they stay out IMO.

Edited by BlueStainGlass

Why? I don't understand why people say they have to be a top 5 group. I could see them in 7th. I'm no Madison honk and didn't like last year's show but it was a step up so what's saying they can't get 6th? Phantom went back and forth with BK what says they can't be 6th? Cavies were once a dominant force what says they can't be 6th. BK could easily get 8th or 9th. Once they start moving and playing as much as the top 5 I will put them up there but for now they stay out IMO.

Since the 2013 season, the top 5 have remained, well, the top 5. Talk about consistency.

Now where it get's interesting is the 6th place spot - the coveted last track on the Volume 1 Blu-Ray. Since 2011, there have been different 6th place finishers each year:

2011 SCV

2012 Bluecoats

2013 Phantom Regiment

2014 Cavaliers

2015 Blue Knights

2016? Why not!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Since the 2013 season, the top 5 have remained, well, the top 5. Talk about consistency.

Now where it get's interesting is the 6th place spot - the coveted last track on the Volume 1 Blu-Ray. Since 2011, there have been different 6th place finishers each year:

2011 SCV

2012 Bluecoats

2013 Phantom Regiment

2014 Cavaliers

2015 Blue Knights

2016? Why not!

Sometimes it's the top 5 some years it's the top 6. I personally believe that Cavaliers will be in that 6th spot or maybe even a little higher. Phantom or Knights could also be there as they've been there before. Can't ever count out Boston. Remember the year that Bluecoats ended up in 7th but they were 5th in Quarters (2007)? Their score went up, but their position went down. There was a time that it was unthinkable to have the Cavaliers out of the top 5, but things change. Some years are just hard to predict where corps will land.

• Like 2

1-Crown

2-Bluecoats

3-BD

4-CADETS

5-SCV

6-CAVIES

7-BK

8-Madison

9-Crossmen

10-Phantom

11-Boston

12-Blue Stars

----

13-Oregon

14 -Troopers

15-Colts

16-PC

17 -SOA

1 - BD - high 98s

2 - CROWN - high 97s

3 - CADETS - high 97s

4 - BLOO - mid 97s

5 - PR - high 96s

6 - SCV - mid 96s

7 - CAVIES - low 94s

8 - BK - low 93s

9 - BCC - mid 90s

10 - MADISON - low 90s

11 - BONES - mid 87s

12 - BS - low 86s

Off to the races...

1. Devils...the safe choice but I think the 3-peat is imminent

2. Cadets...back in contention with a strong program and powerhouse captions

3. Crown...likely the crowd favorite but percussion continues to drag

4. Bluecoats...would so love to see a title but wondering about variety in the music book

5. Blue Knights...I'll buy the hype, thought they made a real jump in quality and poise last year

6. Cavaliers...bouncing back with a refocused program

7. SCV...hoping there will be some spice to what seems like a generic show

8. Phantom...was initially thinking higher but maybe a learning year for the new staff

9. Blue Stars...loved them last year and think they will surprise

10. Madison...always a favorite but not sure about success with a re-tread show

11. Boston...easily could be wrong about this, just too many good corps in the bottom six

12. Academy...my Cinderella pick, the one group bringing the fun back to drum corps

13. Crossmen...they probably won't stumble but curious to hear how the all-original book shakes out

14. Troopers

15. Oregon

16. Spirit

17. Colts

18. Mandarins

19. Pacific Crest

20. Cascades

• Like 2

This is always fun. These are based on the science that is me, or simply saying I base these choices on show themes and selections I want to see most. With a little of last year and personal opinion thrown in there.

1. Blue Devils - After a couple of years with themes and shows that made sense, They are back to.....What? Never the less, I think they will still come out on top.

2. Cadets - Really like the musical selections and theme. Hope coming in second will keep ole boy's heart in his chest.

3. Carolina Crown - Love me some Crown. Hope this is not some sort of rehash of last year. Brass and guard will of course be great.

4. Bluecoats - Did not care for last years show. WHAT? Blasphemy! Maybe the selections and eventual show title will make sense. Still will be innovative, but comparisons to "Tilt" still being made.

5. Blue Knights - Must be something in the rocky mountain air. Very thought provoking shows with creative musical selections. Reminds me of Crown's rise.

6. SCV - Love the show theme and selections. Could in my opinion be as high as 4th.

7. Phantom Regiment - Great classical music without overthinking the theme.

8. Cavaliers - I like the musical selections, but can't help think another "15 minutes".

9. Madison Scouts - Hmmmm? Rehash? Hope not. Always been a fan of "JCS". Battle with Cavies all summer.

10. BAC - Loved last years show. I think medieval or renaissance type shows work for them.

11. Troopers - Really thought they should have been in finals last year. Feel a high emotional show coming.

12. Academy - That's right! They have the audience in the palm of their hands. This will be a memorable show. It seems they choose themes that work well with their uniforms, which I love.

13. Blue Stars - Saw signs of them slipping last year. Kind of like when they slipped with the "Bourne" show and followed the next year with the "sea" show and failed to make finals.

14. Crossmen - I love Bones, but last year left me luke warm. Not a fan of original music. Nothing to get excited about.

15. Colts - Came so close last year. This year seems to be a departure from the previous two. But, not in good way. (in my opinion).

16. Oregon Crusaders - Could be as high as 15 with a much improved guard.

17. Mandarins - Could be as high as 14th with intriguing show. Highly underrated last year.

18. BDB - This is usually where the Open class winners land.

19. SCVC - Dog fight with BDB all summer.

20. Cascades - Love the progress they have made the past couple of years. This year maybe harder to follow.

21. SOA - Not impressed with theme or show and tell with music selections. Late start may keep them from catching up. Still several years away. More corps in the south now. 8 Junior I think.

22. Genesis - The next world class corps?

23. Pioneer - Still making strides.