DCI Akron, OH - June 20 - 2015

Congrats to all the corps for a wonderful night of entertainment. WOW! There are some very promising shows this summer.

Troopers 59.4 - The Troopers were really really good folks. This is a great show that will move up the ladder when they clean their marching. BIG sounding brass line and percussion sounded good to me. Love their repertoire. This is a highly entertaining and moving show. This may make a push for finals. At the moment they are extremely dirty with all kinds of step-off issues and drill movement and alignment problems. As this show cleans I think fans are in for a treat.

BAC 61.6 - I need another read or two on Boston's show. The kids perform very well with a very solid percussion section. They march well. The brass is being held down at the moment for intonation and balance, but I was really having trouble connecting to the music or the overall theme. Looking forward to seeing them again. There is some really good stuff in this show, they just need to expose it more and highlight the musical nuances better.

Blue Stars 63.65 - I wasn't sure what I thought of this in the theater. Live was a BIG difference. There is a LOT of stuff in this show, but I really liked the music, the drill is wonderful, and once clean and tweaked some I believe this will be top 12 all the way. The crowd was entertained by these guys.

Cavaliers 66.75 - The Cavaliers show also has a lot of potential. Great Cavies drill, some very demanding and exciting music, and I am beginning to get some of the guard interplay with the corps. Knowing how they can improve, this thing might be a BIG shock to many of you who think they are going to have a down year. I don't think so. Crowd in my area was very entertained.

Crown 71.55 - Absolutely BLEW the stadium down. Seriously, it's in ashes...and my ear is gone. Unreal how loud, but also balanced they are. They hit some unison and unison/octaves tonight that might still be resonating over Terminal Tower in Cleveland. Don't care for the uniform, but it didn't bother me as much from up high. There are some amazing musical moments in this show. A few are stunning, like the fugue section in the build to Ode To Joy. I could have used a bit more nuance and dynamic contrast from them, and there are some visual issues they will have to address. All in all, people will love this show. They got a big ovation. Percussion played much better from what I heard at the cinecast.

Cadets 73.15 - Just my opinion, but I think this show is stunning and wonderfully musical. The Cadets had the most dynamic range and musical control of phrases I felt. They are playing a killer musical book, and of the corps here their drill is clearly the best on the field. Percussion and brass are wonderful and will be right there with Crown, Coats, and BD all season long. Their guard had some issues tonight, and they need to get the injured players on the field. The ballad likely needs more climax, and of course they haven't yet put on their real ending. Aside from that this is classic Cadets. Nothing overly innovative, just straight-up music and movement. Of all the corps tonight their pit balance and mixing of the synth, bass, and other elements was really good. Maybe down low it might have been "hot" but when I heard synth it was a good mix up top. A great overall show with massive GE potential. Top 3 most likely.

Bluecoats 73.25 - There is nothing normal about this year's Bluecoats. This is FUTURE corps. This is a stunning show that grooves, constantly evolves, utilizes surround sound (with speakers all over), has many solos and solis, utilizes effects better than anything I've heard, and it's just plain fun. For people that have not seen Bluecoats 2015, it's an experience unlike anything you've had. They combine electronics and acoustic playing (all done live) in a masterful way. I sense they will change some drill to better meet the music...the ending for sure. Their brass was BIG sounding and just about as loud as Crown. I thought the baritones got out of character a bit in the ballad and began pushing to hard. Balances were off there. Still, the brass section has a refined and amazing sound. Their tubas I believe are unmatched in DCI. Incredible writing. There are some stunning effects that just grab you. It's definitely a polarizing show. Many around me were not sure how they felt about it. Some loved it (like I do), some just hate anything electronic, and many were just not sure yet. But I think everyone was blown away by their performance and by the effect the show has on a person. This is maybe the first time I can truly say that if this thing cleans the Bluecoats may very well win GOLD. At this juncture (to my eyes and ears) a lot will depend on how they hang with Cadets and BD. I will reserve judgement on SCV, and even on Crown as they clean. They are all amazing corps, so this will be a dogfight...but it's a fight that BLOOO can win.

• Like 1

Bluecoats 73.25 - There is nothing normal about this year's Bluecoats. This is FUTURE corps. This is a stunning show that grooves, constantly evolves, utilizes surround sound (with speakers all over), has many solos and solis, utilizes effects better than anything I've heard, and it's just plain fun. For people that have not seen Bluecoats 2015, it's an experience unlike anything you've had. They combine electronics and acoustic playing (all done live) in a masterful way. I sense they will change some drill to better meet the music...the ending for sure. Their brass was BIG sounding and just about as loud as Crown. I thought the baritones got out of character a bit in the ballad and began pushing to hard. Balances were off there. Still, the brass section has a refined and amazing sound. Their tubas I believe are unmatched in DCI. Incredible writing. There are some stunning effects that just grab you. It's definitely a polarizing show. Many around me were not sure how they felt about it. Some loved it (like I do), some just hate anything electronic, and many were just not sure yet. But I think everyone was blown away by their performance and by the effect the show has on a person. This is maybe the first time I can truly say that if this thing cleans the Bluecoats may very well win GOLD. At this juncture (to my eyes and ears) a lot will depend on how they hang with Cadets and BD. I will reserve judgement on SCV, and even on Crown as they clean. They are all amazing corps, so this will be a dogfight...but it's a fight that BLOOO can win.

How much of this is the members and how much is electronic manipulation?

Observation It seems this show is destined for the same fate as Star 93 - fans love it or hate it, but nothing will be the same after the season is over

Thanks for the great review! I always love to hear your insights.

The only corps I have heard live, so far, is Boston and that was music only and under sub-optimal conditions(indoors). So it is definitely too early for me to render much of an opinion. My impression at this time is that they have a more accessible program than last year but that the brass section is less mature than last year. Percussion seems strong AND mature although I am not a percussionist. Music is more recognizable and not as dark as last year although still not containing enough major chords for my taste. I am lukewarm to the vocal feature but she does have a beautiful voice and like you, I do not have a sense of the direction of the program.

Being a Boston homer, I would love to see them finish in the top half at finals. At this point I am pessimistic knowing the strength of the competition. I sure hope they surprise me!