Just got home, here's a few thoughts...

I love the tradition of this show and venue. Although the stands are less than ideal, the location at the beach and boardwalk are worth the trade off.

We arrived early Saturday and enjoyed the water and sand for a few hours before heading to see Cabs afternoon block.

4D1DFAB5-9664-441F-98B9-4965A552A1B6-472

39881F0A-2D03-4025-9414-F7B2B0973047-472

The Cabs were working hard on the stadium field, and the Bucs just as hard on the field behind the stadium. There are changes to the rules involving timing taking the field. Guard is allowed on right away to set equipment, and can stay on the field. Brass/percussion can assist them, and providing they leave the field boundaries when they are done, the "clock" does not start. This allows for a precise and better timed pre show stage that many corps showed last night, and that the Cabs worked on, and will continue to develop. They play a cool unchained melody vocal for the pre show. A nice run through by the Cabs, I loved the musical arrangements. Goosebump city 4 or 5 times, and some great use of the "unchained" theme. They have 3 big "swing set" props that they use to store guard equipment, including huge carabiner clips that are tossed and spun. 3 snare players are hoisted up and suspended during the percussion feature, then the tenor drums are suspended as the players straddle them. Bases are suspended sideways by chains and held by other members. Brass sections are wearing chains that they have around their necks, and that they take down and hook together to other members with. Featured brass climb the swing sets to start the ballad. Sections pose under and around them. Of course props of this size add another whole set of challenges. Transporting them, maintaining them, moving them around the field in a coordinated and non distracting way, additional time for rehearsal chunk resets, etc etc. The Cabs are doing a nice job handling much of these challenges very well already.

506697BA-926F-4D0B-A720-4C10E61FEE51-472[/

We had a couple hours to go back to our hotel and relax with some cocktails for us, and showers and sandwiches for the mm before the show. I resisted the urge to look in any uniform bags to get a glimpse of what was to come, but did see the new bibs and red sequined sombreros.

895894E6-28C3-413F-91B6-14F2888BF78B-472

When we dropped off our Cabs at the gate at 5:45, the stands were almost full. My wonderful wife went in to get some seats, and me and my oldest checked out the lot as we walked back from a couple blocks away. It was a beautiful night for a show, clear and a comfortable little breeze.

B25E91E9-3780-41DD-81A7-D7DDED6CBB7A-168

B23EFFF7-4B38-46DF-8D4D-0C4AB25C0031-170

BAC754FC-92FD-4349-B3F6-8517110D0778-168

C4ABB938-EA6E-4FD9-B606-B71B076443D6-168

The familiar voice booming from the stadium announcing the Bushwackers snapped me out of the lot coma that I am known to enjoy, (thanks Fran), and we made our way into the stadium as they were finishing up. Thanks to my wife for getting some pix that I posted, and really sorry I can't comment on Hurcs and Bush.

Bucs came on with their 2015 show "Twist It". Familiar music, high velocity drill, colorful guard. Just some very solid drum and bugling, they did not disappoint the crowd, including the usual strong contingent of Bucs flag waivers on hand. I will forgo the obligatory calling out on tics everywhere, (that means performance errors for you youngins), as they were prevalent in every show this night.

Fusions "All Aboard" show is another strong offering. A "track" is put down on the field around the back hash. The guard was not in a uniform, (shorts and tank tops) but they have some solid performers and nice moments. Opener ESOM is a fave. Expect this corps to continue on their upward drive in DCA.

When Cabs came out, there was an astonished hush because of the new unis. I noticed that because they take take the field from both sides and the back to the pre show stuff, that the honor guard, ( still in traditional uniforms), kind of had to just come out of the right end zone and turn and stand. Although I am a drum corps dino, I have really embraced all the changes in the activity over the last few years. Some I find to enhance the experience, and some not so much. I must say that it was a very bittersweet moment for me personally. No Satin, no kick pleats, no arm swing, no street beat. I am probably not a good judge of this change, because I am not sure ANYTHING could enhance the experience that those things have provided to me for 50+ years. That said, I feel the new unis need some bling of some kind. The DM uniform has some of what I am referring to. A solid job by Cabs, and no major malfunctions that are possible with the props used. I felt that the afternoon run was actually a couple points better. This show has all that is needed to contend competitively, and fan appeal that will entertain all summer.

My "Rump Fix" was satisfied when the Cabs Alumni Corps took the field. They never disappoint and gave the crowd a great show as always.

After a quick stop at the hotel, it was out to the boardwalk and a stop off at Kelly's. Had some outstanding clams! It was great seeing old friends and meeting some new ones. We grabbed a pie to go from Mack's and got back to the hotel just ahead of a thunder and lightning storm that rolled in. Unfortunately the rain and clouds hung around this morning, so we slept in a little instead of our early beach fun plan. Thanks to all the performers and staffs and volunteers! It was a great start to what is going to be a great season!

AFFEF97D-FDF9-43BA-8D90-5C5349BCD677-472

C09240B7-D562-4D6D-AA92-E0108BF447C4-472

EB30EB28-C540-4867-A489-6A732467B1DF-472

75733E9D-E8B3-4EE0-8609-59A89F8F8065-472

E3E4AE9A-B6C6-452F-951F-8796837713C7-472

Edited by truman
  • Like 2

It was really cool to actually meet Truman after all these years of loving his show posts (I hesitate to call them "reviews"...they are always so much more). Putting a face to a DCP name is really great, but this was a highlight of the day for me.

any picture of Kellys wins the review!

Nice review Truman, whomever you are. :cool:

he got my car in one of the pictures ~ that gave me a giggle :)

for me...pizza at Macks in Wildwood...ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

not really into pizza beyond "give it here so I can eat it", so even Macks tasted no different to me

not really into pizza beyond "give it here so I can eat it", so even Macks tasted no different to me

Wildwood creates a giant sucking void that clouds people's judgement. One of the many unfortunate results of that is the fact that when in Wildwood, Mack's pizza is the most amazing thing you've ever eaten, but if you ate that same slice anywhere else, you'd think, "Man, this is crap."

• Like 2

Wildwood creates a giant sucking void that clouds people's judgement. One of the many unfortunate results of that is the fact that when in Wildwood, Mack's pizza is the most amazing thing you've ever eaten, but if you ate that same slice anywhere else, you'd think, "Man, this is crap."

This was the first year I've been down the boardwalk more than a block past the Convention Center. And once I won Sadie the stuffed animals, she was done with the boardwalk LOL

• Like 1

This amazing energy sometimes and only sometimes winds up invading the Judging community as well!

• Like 2