Troopers 2015 vs Crown 2007

Back in my senior year of high school, there was a marching band that did a literal ripoff of Crown 2007. Drill, music, props, narration, all watered-down of course. This was just after I had returned from my first season of marching drum corps, and let me tell you, seeing that direct of a rip-off ###### me off royally.

I just don't get that same effect with Wild Horses. And I'd like to think its not just because I'm an alumni...trust me, I've seen some other alumni raise the same concerns that you have. Honestly, I think while the themes are very similar, the execution and content of the show are different enough.

8 different junior corps have done West Side Story shows. The cadets have done it multiple times by themselves. One thing they teach you in music history is that the greatest innovators in music are those who take the innovations and successes that came before them, and then add to it (example: Liszt was using 12-tone serialism in Faust 60-something years before Schoenberg got ahold of it).

Just my 2 cents. Yes, there are lots of similarities, but there's also more than enough to make it original.

Edited by TroopAlum12

I think it's a little difficult to have a show about HORSES and not have ideas repeat between shows. I mean, it's a little hard to convey something as simple as a horse on the field without hitting the audience in the head with it hence why both Crown and Troopers are using white fences and guard members dressed as horses.

As for the other musical/visual similarities, I have no idea what to say about that haha.

• Like 3

I have to agree with the OP. There are so many other ways to take this show without any fear of comparison. I often hear " they put a Trooper spin on it." What a cop out statement. When it's so similar you can't help but compare. Back in the day Troop was innovative. Today's staff seems to watch a lot of videos. I love this corps and can't wait to see how the show progresses throughout the season.

that's said much better than i said it-- thank you

for me-- the EXPERIENCE of sitting in a stadium watching crown perform in 2007 was very similar in effect and feel to the experience i had sitting in a stadium watching troopers perform live--- and that's a compliment to troopers in a way...

i dont mean to beat a dead.... well you know

but why invite the comparison by choosing props, staging, attire that is identical to the other show- i get that on paper it might seem pretty different-- but i was there and it was like "what the heck?? really?" in my mind for the opener and closer-- i'll give you that the middle was very different

• Like 2

Hey...even "The Wonder Years" had a Winnie (whinney). And nobody accused them of ripping off 50's westerns....

Thanks for handing my butt to me on a silver platter, Jeff. I am in desperate need of that quite often. :colgate:

(I DO appreciate your tact.)

it wasn't matter of handing any butts out. But I mean...there's only so much you can do

sooo.... probably saw from my Akron review but it's really disturbing to me how similar these two shows are. There are certainly things that are different but here are a few of the things I saw that were too uncanny to be coincidences..

1) about 20 large white moving fence pieces that could be IDENTICAL to crown's in size/shape/color

2) guard uniforms= tight, brown, furry leggings-- like they are the horses basically

3) two wavy S-shaped lines of brass that merge into one while holding out long chord--

4) guard choreography and staging in the opening (back field grouped together, pawing at the ground with their feet as if they were hooves)--- and closer with a group of 5 or 6 running across the front of the formation from left to right as in a horse race

5) opening musical statement to set the scene

------------

and honestly--- i loved both shows, Crown 07 and Troopers 15... i really really liked it. I was very impressed at the entire troopers production and found myself thoroughly entertained and wow-ed and stuff----- -- but have any of you ever seen such a direct copy of a show concept from a design standpoint? I mean--- 2007 wasn't that long ago---

i dunno.. hadn't seen much on this

27th Lancers 79-80

• Like 1