Troopers 2015 vs Crown 2007

Back in my senior year of high school, there was a marching band that did a literal ripoff of Crown 2007. Drill, music, props, narration, all watered-down of course. This was just after I had returned from my first season of marching drum corps, and let me tell you, seeing that direct of a rip-off ###### me off royally.

I just don't get that same effect with Wild Horses. And I'd like to think its not just because I'm an alumni...trust me, I've seen some other alumni raise the same concerns that you have. Honestly, I think while the themes are very similar, the execution and content of the show are different enough.

8 different junior corps have done West Side Story shows. The cadets have done it multiple times by themselves. One thing they teach you in music history is that the greatest innovators in music are those who take the innovations and successes that came before them, and then add to it (example: Liszt was using 12-tone serialism in Faust 60-something years before Schoenberg got ahold of it).

Just my 2 cents. Yes, there are lots of similarities, but there's also more than enough to make it original.

Back in the day, most high school bands used to replicate drum corps shows. These days it seems that designers of drum corps are getting their ideas from high school bands OR winter guard that compete at Winter Guard Internationals Championships, since a lot of their judges gives the scores for Drum Corps International Championships.

Edited by Bobbie'
  • Like 1

830010714_3ab55e39a0_b.jpgPCMKGMGDAGONDFD.20150617024304.JPG

And when a bottom tier corps does a show called "Tilted" and uses orange/blue with some of the same music as Bloo, we'll say it's different. I'm sorry but it's far too soon, with too many similarities... the guard uniforms are basically ripped off :| Look at the girls on the left of each picture... the orangish color with a darker shade crossing down diagonally across the knee. I mean... c'mon..

Edited by Jeremy.

So, I don't know how every corps picks their theme each year. It's gotta be a royal pain, some years. And there are years when I see a show with a "theme" and I wonder why they don't just title the show "Us being Us" and leave the themes to other corps. So, that said, I imagine that these conversations and questions about the comparisons between Troopers and Crown were definitely part of the design team's process.

I would also bet that many Troopers folk tried to figure out a way to make it look "different", but after a while you just have to say "screw it, it's a horse show, we need horses and fences. Some people will get all bent out of shape about the similarities with Crown. But we need horses and fences, and horses have to move like horses, and fences have to look like fences. There aren't a lot of ways to do that. Let's just put together this great package and let it ride." And thus the show is born.

• Like 1

This is being asked merely as a question...and NOT a direct accusation, nero.

Are you suggesting artistic plagiarism here?

actually I am-- i had to think about it for a day. there's no copyright to infringe on--- but it's too much.

actually I am-- i had to think about it for a day. there's no copyright to infringe on--- but it's too much.

Have you asked Crown's administration or design team about how they feel? I'm betting they don't have a beef. Just a hunch, though, as I don't have any insider info.

See my post above. It's a horse show. Horses have to look like horses and move like horses. And you need fences to help get the horse theme across. There's going to be some crossover.

So, I don't know how every corps picks their theme each year. It's gotta be a royal pain, some years. And there are years when I see a show with a "theme" and I wonder why they don't just title the show "Us being Us" and leave the themes to other corps. So, that said, I imagine that these conversations and questions about the comparisons between Troopers and Crown were definitely part of the design team's process.

I would also bet that many Troopers folk tried to figure out a way to make it look "different", but after a while you just have to say "screw it, it's a horse show, we need horses and fences. Some people will get all bent out of shape about the similarities with Crown. But we need horses and fences, and horses have to move like horses, and fences have to look like fences. There aren't a lot of ways to do that. Let's just put together this great package and let it ride." And thus the show is born.

amen sistah!

I'm a little slow on the uptake today...nice pun, Terri.

(But is it even possible to ride a wild horse?)

To the "neigh"-sayers and comparison makers to 07 Crown....Get over it. The 11th Calvary lends themselves to wild horses....Historically speaking. Troops show displays depth, charisma, power, and the corps will continue to burgeon into a finalist contender. Troop is a corps that "is ###### if they do" stay stagnant to their Americana story, and "###### if they dont" break out of the American west. Kudos to the Troop....I love the show. Horses are horses...Fences are fences. There are more stark differences than similarities.....You know...Like the members of the corps. Last I checked, the members of 2007 Crown weren't working their ### off marching and playing the show daily. This corps embraces and and yearns to display their creative passion every time they enter the field of competition. If you find young people working hard and expressing excitement and passion because their performance is infringing on your past drum corps experience, most stadiums offer a concession and most corps a souvenir booth. I am sure either/both will appreciate your patronage. #GoTroop, #NeighSayersAreHaters, #KeepThrowingDown

Edited by jaboo