Phailing Phantom-- How Phar Will They Phall?

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Seems like Phantom, Madison, and Cadets are all part of the same boat in that they've been struggling to find their voice in recent seasons. All of these corps were known for something great in the past - Phantom for their elegance and performance of classical music, Madison for their big brass sound and wildly entertaining shows, and Cadets for their whiplash drill and incredible performers. All of the qualities that made these three corps great are fading away as time goes on.

I refuse to bash. If a prospective member is so appreciative of one of these styles, nothing will stop them from joining their favorite corps. It's more about competitively falling behind the times than anything else.

I would agree with this. In the 2000s, we saw Madison star to get left behind. Starting in 2013/2014 Phantom has been left behind, and starting last year the Cadets. It's sad. I remember at finals, these were the corps you couldn't wait to see, along with SCV and BD. It's a different day I guess but I hope these three some how find their way back. 

8 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I would agree with this. In the 2000s, we saw Madison star to get left behind. Starting in 2013/2014 Phantom has been left behind, and starting last year the Cadets. It's sad. I remember at finals, these were the corps you couldn't wait to see, along with SCV and BD. It's a different day I guess but I hope these three some how find their way back. 

Yep. It's crazy how they went from holding a mean placement of about 3rd in the mid-'90s to a mean placement of 9th (6-8-13) in 2016.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Allegro89 said:

Third season in a row where Phantom is slowly PHading and bringing up a lot of big question marks.... This season has the potential to be their biggest PHall yet.

Best of luck to the members as they finish their final three weeks and I hope they can push hard to bring a majorly sub-par design as far as it can go.

For someone who claims to be a band director and an alumnus of a top-6 corps, you really seem to have a puerile sense of humor.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar said:

For someone who claims to be a band director and an alumnus of a top-6 corps, you really seem to have a puerile sense of humor.

While I do not think they will place above 9th, I would not characterize that as a failure. It should serve more as a wake up call, IMO. It is hard for long time fans to see them almost irrelevant. It's kind of sad. 

Edited by henry7184

It was and has been a tough span of years for Regiment indeed --- 2012 while a great show visually in some aspects, was familiar music (some pieces) for Phantom.  Staff turnover hurt them (as it will with any corps -- unless, your "Boston!")  and the percussion was a bit less to be desired (look at the scores all season).  Since then, till now they have struggled with design, concept as well as --- the ole' familiar staff merri go round.  

I think the new colorguard head is a great add as is Will Pitts, but they need really at this point, determine if the members are getting the most out of it.  I've volunteered may yrs off/on w/Phantom -- and NO ONE marches there to win DCI Gold, but just IMHO they seem to have lost their dominance as well as that signature sound.  Going back to the new horns from Jupiter was and is a plus, but, I do think this is a young(er) corps - and the demand is high.  

I AM AND ALWAYS WILL BE a Phantom homer.  It's hard as a paying fan to see your fave in a spiral of inconsistency - but, I do believe they will assimilate all this, genuflect in the off season and hopefully continue to re-build.  I LOVE Regiment, have met Will Pitts several times as well as playing and owning some of his compositions- but, when you reduce your brass compliment and use amps to project the sound -- I'm not sure that would make "me" feel confident as a young brass player!  Almost as if "Your good... but we need more... we'll just turn up the volume on the sound board!"

I predict an 8th place finish -- SO MUCH strength and stellar design ahead of them this year in so many corps and I know as always they will clean and maybe surge a bit, but not to their usual top 5 area.

And, as a closing note -- they are using a wonderful closing piece and, it is based on a piece with orchestra/organ, but, sadly are not using any organ synth/midi!  NOT that they have to use it... however it would add so much depth and menace to the ending, but clearly they want to go in a different direction.

GO PHOR IT Phantom!  Keep pushing.....

• Like 2