San Antonio Lineup

Aren't we all crazy?

I'm a Drum Corps Nut.

( I think I used to have a t shirt with that on it too!)

• Like 1

That was one of the best and most detailed reviews I've ever read. Thanks.

That was one of the best and most detailed reviews I've ever read. Thanks.

Nothing against Wes, but nobody,.. but nobody... does a more " detailed review " of Drum Corps shows as does DCP 'er " Truman ". He's on the Show Review site on this Forum. Truman is in a league all by himself when it comes to giving us the sights, sounds, of a Drum Corps show. His show review does not start at his seat in the stadium, or at the seat by his computer. It starts well before this. It starts when he sits down in the seat of his car and turns on the car ignition, and goes on from there, ( with pictures ) until he returns and parks the car in his driveway and shuts the car engine motor off. ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

Oregon Crusaders- I'm a HS band director whose been involved in BOA for a number of years and the whole show from the Garden thematic idea seemed more BOA suited. I know that sounds harsh, but the Crusaders have the horses in every section to be a finals contender soon, but the show designs are lacking competitive drum corps material. I think I was expecting more from the staff and the corps, but the kids perform what they have well. Hopefully necessary changes will be made to get the OC a better vehicle to perform for their great kids in the future. I give the Oregon Crusaders a thumbs up rating of....👍

This is not a complaint about your review, but I would love for there to be some discussion, probably in a separate thread, about what differentiates, or perhaps should differentiate, DCI design from BOA design. People make comments like this all the time, but it's rarely explained in any detail. (The closest I've seen is some commentary last fall about how BOA downplays the importance of the battery, but that doesn't seem to apply here.) It would be great to have a list: "BOA does this, while DCI does that", and so on.

• Like 1

I predict that the top 12 after tonight will look like this.

Cadets

BD

BLUE COATS

CROWN

SCV

BLUE KNIGHTS

CAVIES

PHANTOM

MADISON

BOSTON

XMEN

BLUE STARS

Good call.. very close

Open Class scores from Manchester, to bear in mind when S.A. scores for Genesis, Jubal, et al. are announced:

1. 65.100 7th Regiment

2. 63.700 Spartans

3. 53.600 Stentors

For the moment, that puts 7th Regiment in second, ahead of Genesis and Blue Devils B, and behind only Vanguard Cadets.

All from different shows, of course. We'll have a much better sense of how they all really compare starting next Friday.

(Wouldn't it be a hoot if, in addition to a tight race between BDB, SCVC, 7th, Genesis, Legends, Music City, and perhaps Gold, it turned out that Coastal Surge, who debuts Friday, had really turned on the heat last season and were at the level of, say, Columbians?)

Well, it could have been great if that happened, but we all know now that it won't. I had no idea how anti-prophetic my comment would prove. Coastal Surge and Columbians both appeared two seasons ago, although Surge only played in exhibition in their first season. Several people this year, myself included, wondered how Columbians would have done if they had played beyond the northwest and traveled down to the So Cal Open Class Championships. I guess Coastal Surge's demise is a reminder of the wisdom of starting slow and not overextending.

This is not a complaint about your review, but I would love for there to be some discussion, probably in a separate thread, about what differentiates, or perhaps should differentiate, DCI design from BOA design. People make comments like this all the time, but it's rarely explained in any detail. (The closest I've seen is some commentary last fall about how BOA downplays the importance of the battery, but that doesn't seem to apply here.) It would be great to have a list: "BOA does this, while DCI does that", and so on.

BOA design vs. DCI: What are the Differences? Anyone want to to start this thread? (Obviously I'm not doing it) I am however curious about this topic given that a few times I've heard BOA used as some kind of a downgrade from DCI.