I remember that season at Allentown. It was so cool when the drum major got impaled. Nobody was expecting it and the crowd gasped and then went nuts. I loved it. It was one of the greatest endings of a show I've seen.

I would have loved to see that live. I think I was overseas.

I would have loved to see that live. I think I was overseas.

Too bad. It was off the charts in terms of crowd reaction. Genius.

• Like 1

Sheer odds make your statement likelier than not, but I wonder: were people saying basically the same thing about Phantom at this point in 2008?

Prolly not, but that's the rub. That closer for Phantom is legendary and they still won by the slimest of margins. Duplicating a closer with that type of appeal and response is unlikely to be repeated. Very unlikely.

Edited by mboogey73

The majority of people didn't have phantom in the title hunt until Allentown really. I had them knocking at the medals until the ending went in, and I had them solidly in third with a possibility at a run at the silver over the Cavaliers. I was one of those that had BD winning it the entire season, and kept that belief all week long at championships. I still think BD should have won that year but Phantom pulled it off!

Yup. Even as a total Phantom homer, I think BD got robbed that year.

• Like 2

I don't think there were many people at all who thought Phantom actually had a chance based on their history up to that point in 2008. Yes, they tied in 1996 but they had never won outright up until then - hence the enormous crowd response when they were announced as the winners.

I don't think there were many people at all who thought Phantom actually had a chance based on their history up to that point in 2008. Yes, they tied in 1996 but they had never won outright up until then - hence the enormous crowd response when they were announced as the winners.

Still probably my top drum corps moment that I was fortunate enough to experience live.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Crown is still connecting to the crowd more than the Cadets are if "crowd cheers" are what we're using to quantify how connected the crowd is.

At Akron, where I saw the show live, the crowd certainly seemed to prefer Crown to Cadets. For that matter, the four twenty-somethings I took to the show, three of them drum corps neophytes, were split between Crown and Blue Stars as their favorites that night. But that was four weeks ago, and crowds now, or elsewhere, may have other preferences.