Hattiesburg Happenings (July 22)

Scores are not expected to be consistent across classes.

Actually they changed that last year* at the request of the Open Class corps directors. For example, these were the top three scores at Open Class Finals in 2013:

1. 96.150 Vanguard Cadets

2. 95.700 Blue Devils B

3. 91.550 Genesis

And these were the top three scores at Open Class Finals in 2014:

1. 82.650 Blue Devils B

2. 81.650 Vanguard Cadets

3. 77.900 Genesis

And believe me, BDB wasn't thirteen points worse in 2014 than they'd been in 2013.

*Or maybe changed it back, as I was under the impression that there was a time in the distant past when all classes of corps had been scored on the same scale.

Uh. Perhaps you aren't understanding. BD and Southwind are in different classes but under the same scoring scale and sheets. That's how scoring works now, whether you like it or not.

You're right that scoring can't be 100% objective, but corps CAN be put in a general neighborhood called a "box" and there is absolutely no way Southwind is even close to the box the Troopers are in let alone BD.

You are correct..... that is clear. However, if someone can claim that they were 10-points over scored is also not valid..... being on same sheets as the rest of the competing corps is not the same, as they were not being compared with the corps that follow. There are no ordinals in a 1-corps show.

Actually they changed that last year* at the request of the Open Class corps directors. For example, these were the top three scores at Open Class Finals in 2013:

1. 96.150 Vanguard Cadets

2. 95.700 Blue Devils B

3. 91.550 Genesis

And these were the top three scores at Open Class Finals in 2014:

1. 82.650 Blue Devils B

2. 81.650 Vanguard Cadets

3. 77.900 Genesis

And believe me, BDB wasn't thirteen points worse in 2014 than they'd been in 2013.

*Or maybe changed it back, as I was under the impression that there was a time in the distant past when all classes of corps had been scored on the same scale.

Plus, when they opened World Class Prelims to Open Class, all the Open Class Corps saw about a 16-point drop in scores going from the Open sheets to World sheets. That's not happening anymore since everyone is on the same page so to speak.

Plus, when they opened World Class Prelims to Open Class, all the Open Class Corps saw about a 16-point drop in scores going from the Open sheets to World sheets. That's not happening anymore since everyone is on the same page so to speak.

Yeah, although the judges did not have the firmest grasp on the change last year, and sometimes seemed to be scoring the Open Class corps as if they were still on their own sheets. The most egregious example was Manchester on July 19, 2014:

1. 75.50 7th Regiment

1. 75.50 Spartans

3. 72.60 Legends

4. 60.40 Racine Scouts

5. 60.10 Les Stentors

As I recall, Racine's fans (commenting on the corps' Facebook page) were especially ecstatic that they were finally getting the recognition they thought they deserved, despite warnings from more seasoned observers that something was wrong with those scores. And guess what happened? Those corps saw big drops at their next show, and most of them wouldn't return to that scoring level until O.C .Finals, two weeks later. Racine never got a score that high again.

However, for someone to claim that they were ten points over-scored is also not valid.

In my opinion, and with all due respect to Southwind (may they have a long and successful resurgence!), if they had been at Monday's Dallas show, where Guardians scored 56.90, or Monday's Lafayette show, where Louisiana Stars scored 60.10, then their score would have been somewhere in the 40s, not a 56.35. What I saw on the stream last night looked to me to be closer to this preview show by Thunder--whose final score of the year, two weeks later, was a 50.60--than it was to the Guardians. I think it would behoove the judges to give even new Open Class corps a realistic sense of what they're achieving. It surely did Racine Scouts no good last year, as noted in the post just above this one, to score a 60.40 on July 19 (thanks to some mistaken judging) on their way to scoring a 58.85 on August 4.

However, because Southwind is mainly using this week to prove that they can field a corps on the competition field, since they are wisely taking it easy this season with no plans to attend Open Class champions (and in fact they will compete against only one other O.C. corps, itself also in its first year), I can appreciate that the judges perhaps felt that the numbers don't matter very much. Presumably their comments were more helpful.

The actual point of my admittedly awkward comment was to offer one of the same observations you did: if ever there was a clear demonstration of the problems with comparing scores from different shows, this was it.

<snip>

The actual point of my admittedly awkward comment was to offer one of the same observations you did: if ever there was a clear demonstration of the problems with comparing scores from different shows, this was it.

I FULLY agree !!!!! I am clear on your point and everything you presented to support that point.......

Welcome back SOUTHWIND...... Great job !